ultimate metal competition :)

Lars himself addmited that they probably wouldn't have gone commercial if Cliff was still around.

Damageinc840 said:
Well.....

If you look at the bands that Metallica has influenced.....

Opeth is a better band, but you can't deny the fact that Metallica is probably one of the most influential bands in the history of music, right up there with Sabbath, Maiden, and Priest.

*sigh* people need to remember how to judge. This is not about greatest influence - dont judge Metallica based on what OTHER bands have done, or we'll never get anywhere. Take a deep breath, look at their discography...then look at Opeth's.
..... Hey! Opeth's is far, far better! Whoa! Gasp!

the_3_toed_sloth said:
*sigh* people need to remember how to judge. This is not about greatest influence - dont judge Metallica based on what OTHER bands have done, or we'll never get anywhere. Take a deep breath, look at their discography...then look at Opeth's.
..... Hey! Opeth's is far, far better! Whoa! Gasp!

Oh... I guess I missed the post on judging criteria, but it seems to me that you would want to take into account all aspects of a bands music, to include lasting impressions. If a band was the shit and everyone listened to them, but 5 years later you cant name a single song, that doesnt make them a very good band does it?

Also, you'd have to judge a band based on what other bands have done, otherwise how you possibly rate them as the best. If the only music I ever listened to in my life was a new In FLames CD, id be inclined to vote for that. However, they are far from the best band in the world. So therefore, you absolutely must take into account what other bands have done, otherwise your vote is wasted.