Favourite Blackwater Park track

What's your favourite track off Blackwater Park?

• The Leper Affinity

Votes: 19 14.3%
  • Bleak

Votes: 29 21.8%
  • Harvest

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • The Drapery Falls

Votes: 22 16.5%
  • Dirge For November

Votes: 13 9.8%
  • The Funeral Portrait

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • Patterns In The Ivy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blackwater Park

Votes: 38 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bleak. I just love that song. I am surprised by how many votes BWP is getting though. Good song, but I didn't know it was so many people's favorite off the album.

Bleak was the first song I got into, that album being the first I heard. TLA was great, but seeing as I didn't know what Opeth were like I only really fell in love with them when Bleak came on. So its probably my fav Opeth song, and if I bothered listening from the start of the album I would probably say TLA, but you never listen to a new band with full attention when you first hear them. But thats the reason I love Bleak more than any other on this perfect album!

I've only listened to the whole album twice :(
I feel bad, I should probably listen to it more considering how many times I've heard their other albums...

MasterOLightning said:
About two years ago The Drapery Falls would have had twice as many votes as all the other songs combined. Oh, how things change.

So, so true. Heck, I'd say the same about Bleak even. Both songs WERE the most popular two off the record according to previous polls.

Man, it seems this is the ONLY Opeth album (according to these polls on these boards) where my LEAST favourite track off the record is winning (not including Patterns in the Ivy.) Good track, sure - even VERY good, but I'm just surprised about the polls for it now. Back in the day it seemed it had the LEAST votes compared to the others, lol. Things DO change.

Anyway, it's BLEAK for me. Dammit, that song is simply incredible and has one of the greatest acoustic solo parts (and we know Opeth has plenty of them), but still - AMAZING part.This track is just rockin'.

then, it'd be like;

2) The Drapery Falls
3) The Lepe Affinity
4) Dirge for November
5) Harvest
6) The Funeral Portrait
7) Blackwater Park
8) Patterns in the Ivy

That's funny, Blackwater Park has been my number 1 or 2 Opeth song for quite a while now. It has pretty much the best ending out of any song I have ever heard. "Sick liaisons raised this monumental mark... The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park". And the slow buildup to that moment is insane.

The beginning two verses are also probably my favorite to sing along to, and I generally don't even listen to what he's saying when he growls, but those verses are just amazing to hear.

And what the hell I'll do a list as well:

2) Bleak
2) The Leper Afinity
4) Harvest
5) The Drapery Falls
6) The Funeral Portrait
7) Dirge for November
8) Patterns in the Ivy

Yeah I have a tie at number 2.

BWP absolutely slays... the vocals are deep and dark as anything, the main riffs are really harsh and the whole production is absolutely huge. What can I say, the whole album is awesome, but BWP is special.

Bleak all the way! One of my all time favourites actually, and the only one on my list they didn't play on the European tour :( ...
(it's also in the favourite list of Mikael himself by the way ;))
The Funeral Portrait second favourite, but the title doesn't fit the song ...

But otherwise BWP is my least favourite album ... I don't know, for me it sounds just that bit more shallow than the others, but that's my opinion ... Dirge for Novembre and Harvest are so repetitive, and even (this is difficult to admit being such a huge opeth-fan) at some times bordering on boring for a second ...
I'm glad BWP wasn't the beginning of a whole set of albums in the same way.
Of course it is still way better than most metalalbums!

I think I heard Drapery so many times, that I just don't enjoy it anymore.

My order:

1. The Leper Affinity
2. Blackwater Park
3. Bleak
4. Harvest
5. Dirge For November
6. Patterns In The Ivy
7. Funeral Portrait
8. The Drapery Falls

Frostangelstorm said:
I think I heard Drapery so many times, that I just don't enjoy it anymore.
So true.

I also agree with what is said about the repetitiveness of some songs. Dirge is probably the weakest in this sense. And am I the only one that hears fingernails on a chalkboard when Mike's voice comes in for Dirge? I like his voice but I really don't like that part.

One Winged Angel said:
So true.

I also agree with what is said about the repetitiveness of some songs. Dirge is probably the weakest in this sense. And am I the only one that hears fingernails on a chalkboard when Mike's voice comes in for Dirge? I like his voice but I really don't like that part.

Interesting, as that is probably my favourite clean vocal delivery on the album (along with the "lost are days of spring..." section).

And I agree; the song seems repetitive at first, but there's quite a few subtle changes happening along the way. That song didn't hit me for awhile, but then all of a sudden, after listening to the album for a year, the song just shot up there as my favourite.

Strange...