Ulver appreciation thread

discouraged1

disco my arse!
May 24, 2001
Belgrade, Serbia
www.myspace.com
i was just sliding through their catalogue today.

the transformations they made since their pagan black metal days through some acoustic folky stuff and then abandoned them completely for the sake of experimenting with electronica, Rhodes pianos, white noises and some Coil worship.

still, i was a bit disappointed by Blood Inside, but they can surely get away with it.

The Trilogy, then the exceptional Themes From William Blake's Heaven & Hell, Perdition City and the EP's that followed it... a couple of solid OST's as well.

do you dig 'em?

i'm not sure.

it starts off good, but there are some falsetto moments later that seem really odd to me.

maybe i was expecting too much before it was released with all that "viva megalomania" madness ads..

its pretty good album actually, maybe just not enough hooks for my taste? :saint:

i guess its a grower. i'll give it more spins :kickass:

Amazing band. So many fantastic records (Black Metal trilogy, Perdition City, Lyckantropen Themes, Svidd Neger and Blood Inside). Perdition City and Lyckantropen Themes are my favorites.

Ulver is my #3 favorite all time group as of the past 2 years.

Garm is a genius, but you can't forget every other person who has ever recorded on an Ulver album. There's like 400 people who have helped, that's part of their genius. It gives the band so much diversity and makes them truly amazing.

I love Ulver.

This band is seriously overrated, they are not the 2nd coming of christ but they are good. Bergtatt is ok, Nattens Madrigal is awful...both Perdition City and Blood Inside are very good, but not fantastic.

nattens madrigal takes a while to get into, but once it clicks, it doesn't let go. it's among my top 10 black metal albums. but you need good headphones to listen to all the details underneath the buzz.
not a whole lot of bands have released awesome albums in at least 3 genres. perdition city and the glitch eps are very much inspired by coil but they are all better than anything by that band.
there is no way ulver is overrated. a lot of people on these boards like them, but that's about it.

i think i remember why Blood Inside turned me off - at the same time Blood Inside came out, i got Coil's Moons Milk, and Coil's album blew me off more than the wolves.

the second guess is that some moments off Blood Inside sounded like bad acid trip

How do you slide through a discography? :lol: At any rate, Ulver really is a hit-or-miss band for me. Some of their releases are pretty useless (Lyckantropen Themes comes to mind) or just downright terrible, while others are basically masterpieces. I really couldn't stand Blood Inside or Themes From William Blake's The Marriage of Heaven and Hell. Those two are just too pompous, overblown, and silly for my tastes. But then you have Svidd Neger and Perdition City, both of which are terrific. I still say that their first three albums will always be their best.

How do you slide through a discography? :lol: At any rate, Ulver really is a hit-or-miss band for me. Some of their releases are pretty useless (Lyckantropen Themes comes to mind) or just downright terrible, while others are basically masterpieces. I really couldn't stand Blood Inside or Themes From William Blake's The Marriage of Heaven and Hell. Those two are just too pompous, overblown, and silly for my tastes. But then you have Svidd Neger and Perdition City, both of which are terrific. I still say that their first three albums will always be their best.

Themes from Wm. Blake's...is my favorite

I like Ulver a lot. There are times I can spend days listening to them and I never get tired. Lyckantropen Themes and Perdition City are great albums in my opinion. I also like Silencing the Singing a lot. 'Speak Dead Speaker' is one of the songs I love to listen when I wanna lay in bed and relax. Also like 'Darling Didn't We Kill You' very much.