Ulver?

Useful Idiot

The Infested Monkey
Jul 20, 2001
CA, USA
Hey, I'm really new to this band...could someone give me a brief rundown on them and their history? I'm a little confused with the whole black metal/atmospheric thing I'm hearing...thanks.

i think it;s best to go to www.opeth.com and biogrpahy if you want to know teh history. as for the atmosphere i don't think it's black or white metal. since the music is influence by more than 20 other genre of music, so i have no idea.

there's not a whole lot of biography with ulver, but here's a basic rundown:

the vocalist and frontman is Christophorus G. Rygg, also known as Garm. He started Ulver (norwegian for "wolf") as a folk-black metal outfit. the first cD was "bergtatt" then came an all-acoustic album called "kveldssanger" and then a badly recorded, super trashy "nattens madrigal".

while all this was going on, garm did vocals for the first two Borknagar cd's, and for Arcturus as well.

Ulver then released a 2Cd called "themes from William Blake's The Marriage Of Heaven and Hell". By this point they had left Century Media and signed a contract with Jester Records. This CD saw a departure from their previous style, as it encompassed not only heavy guitar stuff, but industrial and ambient influences as well.

there was the metamorphosis EP, which basically led up to "perdition city" which was an eclectic mix of remix and organic sounds (saxophone, etc) and very little in the way of vocals.

then came the 24-minute, 1 -track, limited edition "silence teaches you how to sing". supposedly, there is another EP on the way, as wel as a re-recording of Nattens madrigal.

for more information, go to these sites;

http://www.lostinmoments.cjb.net
http://www.onlythewolf.knows.it

I've heard 3 distinct sounds from this band. The trashy black metal, the Blake stuff, and some other stuff with classical guitars and wordless vocals. I really love the latter style. Which album would that be?

A few things...

Ulver didn't sign to Jester records, Garm owns Jester Records. It's his company, he created it in order to release Themes from William Blake.

Now to reinterate what has already been said...

Bergtatt is, as aforementioned a black metal meets Norweigan folk kind of record. It's a pretty natural/listenable combination for anyone who listens to a band like, say... Opeth. I really like the first track, myself.

Kveldssanger is an all acoustic/a capella folk record. It's very cool. Based on the popularity of this, Ulver signed to century media and then (apparently) outraged them by releasing

Nattens Madrigal, a record which took all of the shortcomings of Black Metal and amplified them into a badly produced mess. I've heard stories/rumours that this was done for the specific purpose of screwing over Century Media, but these are completely unfounded. Some people really like this album, tho. I don't.

These three records, which were all in Norweigan and bore similar cover art, formulate what Garm called Ulver's initial "conceptual trilogy". From that they moved on to

Themes From William Blakes The Marriage of Heaven and Hell was Ulver take Blake's epic poem and put it to music. It utilized a lot of electronics and odd ambient soundscapes to produce a very cool and peculiar record.

Since then, Metamorphosis, Perdition City and Silence Teaches You How to Sing have been released, all primarily electronic albums with little vocals.

That was my largely needless reinteration.
(small bow)

Is there anyone else on here that likes Nattens Madrigal? I love it, even the production. If any of you do acid listen to it while tripping ..:loco: ..it is insane...the sounds in between the songs are nuts as well (i thought of some kind of hibernating beast )...Oh well i'm really just interested in seeing how many other peoplke enjoy this album?
Jay

Ulver are simply music in it's finest form. Themes...is my favorite album of all time, and the only release I can't say I like from Ulver is metamorphis....but that's only becuase i never picked it up and haven't heard it!!! i'll have it soon though.....

As for nattens madrigal.....it's a must have for an black metal fan. It is very melodic, very emotional and atmospheric, and manages to do so with just guitar, bass drums, and distorted vocals. One of their finest momnets is on the first track, when they go into the acoustic section, especially when the harmony kicks in....bliss!!!!!

And to those who don't like the new stuff, I think you are listening for the wrong things. It's isn't the music specifically you are focussing on. The music is high quality, very melodic and emotional, as is expected from ulver. The approach of delivering it has changed, that's all. And garm's voice is in better shape tahn ever! (except for on their demo....)

Originally posted by leadfoot256
Is there anyone else on here that likes Nattens Madrigal? I love it, even the production. If any of you do acid listen to it while tripping ..:loco: ..it is insane...the sounds in between the songs are nuts as well (i thought of some kind of hibernating beast )...Oh well i'm really just interested in seeing how many other peoplke enjoy this album?
Jay

I love this album!!!!! and especially the production ;) :hotjump:

but i don't do acid....hehe