UM Forum javascript error - please help!

Fragle

Jul 27, 2005
Germany
hey there,

i'm having problems accessing UM forums on my computer (since like 6 weeks ago btw).....all i get is an error message on top of the screen
"sorry, you must have javascript enabled to view this site".

of course, i DO have javascript enabled ^^

i'm running both firefox and IE on my machine, yet i can't access UM forums with either one.
i already tried updating java, reinstalling firefox, clearing cache...basically all i could think of, with zero effect.

i'm on a WLAN network which is based around an UMTS router (lack of DSL, countryside )....there are 2 other machines in that network. one of them also doesn't let me access the forum, on the third one though i can access the forum via internet explorer - firefox is still giving me trouble, namely that error message, though.

as i stated above, this only occured since i guess 6-8 weeks ago...prior to that everything was just fine.
we did not change one single thing in our wlan network, btw.

on my girl's computer it's perfectly fine, even though she's basically using the same setup as me.
the only difference (aside from computer specs) i can think of is that she's running zonealarm, whereas i'm using some sort of norton security package.
i'm not sure how this could cause the error, as it was perfectly fine before, and i didn't change a thing...one day it worked, one day it just stopped doing so :cry:

i'm really running out of ideas over here, but i got to admit that i'm not exactly a computer crack though....so it would be WAY cool if any of the more experienced computer guys over here could give me some pointers what could be going wrong.

thanks in advance

Hi Fragle, im at work, but thought i'd quickly recommend something- I know im probably making you suck eggs here, but in IE have you gone into tools, Advanced & hit the reset button? This is usually the get out of jail free card with all things IE. However, as its happening on 2 browsers it points to something else perhaps- if this doesnt fix it let me know. P.S Java & javascript are different. You dont use a proxy do you?

Get spybot seek & destroy and run a scan with that if the above doesnt work. Its quite likely that you might have something stripping out the javascript to annoy you. Also, disable norton and attempt to run the site, maybe thats blocking it. There are quite a few possibilities.

I have noticed this happening over the last few months, it flashes up with the message then goes straight through for me. I just put it down to a delay waiting for javascript to kick in and begin its rendering.