Un-bolting a bolt-on neck?

Danimal

Inner Beast
Apr 29, 2005
Chicago
www.edensfall.com
I have a guitar (actually a Status Bass) that has a bolt-on neck. It is a very nice instument, but the finish is wearing a little thin. I am considering taking it completely apart, sanding down the body and re-finishing it. The thing that I am a little worried about is taking off the neck...

Is there anything special that I need to know about removing a bolt-on guitar neck and putting it back on? Do I simply remove the 4 bolts and put it back on and tighten it up when I'm done. I realize that I will have to have it re-setup when I am done, but want to be sure that I am not going to permanently damage the instrument or throw it so far out of wack that it is no longer playable.

If anyone has any insight, I would appreciate it.

Danimal said:
I have a guitar (actually a Status Bass) that has a bolt-on neck. It is a very nice instument, but the finish is wearing a little thin. I am considering taking it completely apart, sanding down the body and re-finishing it. The thing that I am a little worried about is taking off the neck...

Is there anything special that I need to know about removing a bolt-on guitar neck and putting it back on? Do I simply remove the 4 bolts and put it back on and tighten it up when I'm done. I realize that I will have to have it re-setup when I am done, but want to be sure that I am not going to permanently damage the instrument or throw it so far out of wack that it is no longer playable.

If anyone has any insight, I would appreciate it.

Try taking the strings off first (or just making them loose as fuck), and go from there.

step 1: strings come off.
step 2: unbolt the neck.
step 3: do whatever you're gonna do, but be mindful of the hollow spot where the neck joint was. if you re-paint, try to get no paint or anything inside that area. you want it the same elevation etc as it was before.
step 4: bolt it back on, the same way it came off.
step 5: make sure those bolts are fricken solid on.
step 6: strings go back on and re-setup/tune

I wouldnt suggest sanding it down yourself. Even if you think you know what your doin you will most likely end up with unwanted bevels and such. Just some advise from someone who has been there.

Don't sand the paint off. Use a chemical solvent, it'll save you time and effort, plus the wood will stay nice and smooth without many irregularities to worry about. Of course this only applies to the process of removing the paint. Once you get the primer on, you'll need to get your grit out and start sanding throughout all the coats.