mahogany good for a bolt on?

i made a geeetar oot of lots of pencils and a old chair...and i uused some picky-ups from my bruvvers electronic banjy...it's sounds awsum!!!!!!

Silent Song said:
what a lot of people overlook is that a similar experiment to changing the wood type in the same guitar would be to just turn your TONE knob. they do the same thing in different ways.

I think this is why sonic modelling, for both amp and guitar, has become so popular. It's a whole hell of a lot cheaper to change the characteristics during signal processing than to buy a whole new guitar or amp.

If I still worked at a test lab with the accelerometer test set, we could measure body resonance. Add some spectrum analysis to the pickup out put, and we could solve this question with a few guitars. I think it would be interesting to see the results. One of you guys ought to do your master's thesis on this. lol

@!Aviso! - I totally understand your skepticism. I'm sure it's measurable in some way. I think the string interacts with the body so little in modern guitars that you're probably correct. My first guitar was a Peavey with the string fed through the body to the bridge, no tremolo or locking nut. I'd say the string interacted with the body quite a bit more than my current Jackson. Double locking systems with a floating trem... the argument is probably on your side. I did notice quite a bit of difference when I changed my trem from a Jackson to a Floyd Pro. The tone brightened up with the Floyd added. I think the Jackson bridge is made with a lower grade, softer alloy.

modelling breaks down though when it comes to aspects of tone that are purely analog and impossible to replicate digitally. lately i've seen tube modellers but nothing is quite as good as the real thing. also, changing the body material affects sustain as well as tone, whereas the knob just changes tone by using a capacitor to cut voltage off certain frequency ranges.

i may grab a webshots account or something to post my pics, but if there's an easier way, lemmie know.

It's very difficult to get enough processor power (bits) to replicate analog with digital technology. Analog technologies, tubes in particular, produce a wealth of harmonic information that requires a ton of processing power to replicate with digital technologies. If you took a measurement in the frequency domain of the output of a tube amplifier, you could see the complexities of the output signals (meaning myriad impulse functions at various frequencies). Each of these frequencies would require bits to map to in the digital world. Modelling has come a very long way, but it still hasn't completed even half the journey.

Weenur - think you can get back into your lab off hours for a quickie experiment? I'll be in Phx 3/28-3/29, though mostly for work. How's the weather, by the way? Last I heard, the Salt River would be great for a rafting trip.

ABQShredHead said:
It's very difficult to get enough processor power (bits) to replicate analog with digital technology. Analog technologies, tubes in particular, produce a wealth of harmonic information that requires a ton of processing power to replicate with digital technologies. If you took a measurement in the frequency domain of the output of a tube amplifier, you could see the complexities of the output signals (meaning myriad impulse functions at various frequencies). Each of these frequencies would require bits to map to in the digital world. Modelling has come a very long way, but it still hasn't completed even half the journey.
Oh yeah, definitely. I never said it was perfect, but it is becoming popular. I have a Johnson amp and I quite like it. I doesn't have near the characterstics as my old Laney did, which was all tube, but it is flexible.
Weenur - think you can get back into your lab off hours for a quickie experiment? I'll be in Phx 3/28-3/29, though mostly for work. How's the weather, by the way? Last I heard, the Salt River would be great for a rafting trip.
The last place I worked at with a vibration test set was in England. :) I've moved away from doing electronics altogether in the past 10 years. I'm totally into software these days.

Phoenix has been great these past couple of months for weather. I love rain, so it's been perfect for me. Lately it's cleared up and been absolutely beautiful, sunny and around low to mid '70s. Personally, I wouldn't ever get in the Salt River. :yuk: Tempe town lake is looking good, though.

England, huh? Hmm... road trip!

Albuquerque's been very wet this year as well. It's awesome. I lived in Belgium as a youngster and grew rather accustomed to the rain myself. Living in a desert isn't the ideal location, but it's good enough. At least there's nearly year-round soccer.

ABQShredHead said:
England, huh? Hmm... road trip!
Silent Song said:
ROAD TRIP :headbang:
Wouldn't we drown? :D

Albuquerque's been very wet this year as well. It's awesome. I lived in Belgium as a youngster and grew rather accustomed to the rain myself. Living in a desert isn't the ideal location, but it's good enough. At least there's nearly year-round soccer.
Albuquerque I'm not so fond of. I grew up in Farmington/Aztec area. Belgium, on the other hand, is beautiful. All that beer... :devil: Of course, it's been years since I've been back to Abq. Last time I was there I was completely shocked by how much it had grown. Talk about urban sprawl. Wow!

weenur said:
Wouldn't we drown? :D

Albuquerque I'm not so fond of. I grew up in Farmington/Aztec area. Belgium, on the other hand, is beautiful. All that beer... :devil: Of course, it's been years since I've been back to Abq. Last time I was there I was completely shocked by how much it had grown. Talk about urban sprawl. Wow!

Still growing, in fact. The City Council's still full of a bunch of idiots though - growth should be happening much faster, but they have too many heads in too many asses (sometimes their own, sometimes the mayor's, sometimes other concillors, too many times voters representing the minority). What's new there though?

Farmington, huh? Talk about beer! Three Rivers Brewery is freakin' awesome. We built out a cell system in '03 up there and hit that place every lunch/dinner/whenever we could. That's good beer! Maybe not Belgium, but quality nonetheless.

ABQShredHead said:
Still growing, in fact. The City Council's still full of a bunch of idiots though - growth should be happening much faster, but they have too many heads in too many asses (sometimes their own, sometimes the mayor's, sometimes other concillors, too many times voters representing the minority). What's new there though?
Phoenix is the same way. Growing like a weed with some pretty poor planning happening. I'm still wondering where the water for all the LA refugees is going to come from.

Farmington, huh? Talk about beer! Three Rivers Brewery is freakin' awesome. We built out a cell system in '03 up there and hit that place every lunch/dinner/whenever we could. That's good beer! Maybe not Belgium, but quality nonetheless.
Three Rivers, eh? I haven't been. I'll make a point of looking it up next time I'm up visiting my mom.

Oddly, there's a Four Peaks brewery here in Phoenix. Good beer. How could you go wrong with a beer called Kiltlifter?

Oh, yeah, the Kiltlifter rocks! That's good stuff. Three Rivers has a good Scottish as well. I'm not sure if it's a staple or a specialty though. The rye PA is also awesome.

I wish Four Peaks would bottle and export.

We have a good brewpub across from the office here in Albuquerque, but I rarely get to go. Perhaps when my co-worker gets off Lent, we can head over.