Underground metal internet radio?

CAIRATH

Astral Disaster
Feb 6, 2002
R'lyeh
Does anyone have any links to 24/7 metal streams (that can be played with Winamp, no stupid webbased or Realplayer crap) that are actually good?

For some reason most of the metal streams I've come across seem to mostly play generic power metal or nu-metal but I assume there's atleast a few stations that play better stuff. I'm mostly just looking for a convenient way to hear new (to me) music that doesn't involve me reading or downloading anything.

Didn't Ultimate Metal have one? I'm not sure what's happened, but there was a prominent link to it in a banner at the top of the page...

You could try getting a list of all the Winamp shoutcast stations through the media library. You'll run into a few.

I was listening to one for a few hours today while doing other things (http://64.62.252.140:80/bemetal.ogg), and it was mainly generic power/thrash/melodicdeath metal. I was halfway to hating the whole genre forever by the time I turned it off. I want a station that plays a good variety and a lot of weird stuff. I've had my fill of Manowar double bass rhythms and harmonized pentatonic solos and clean-chorus-comes-out-of-nowhere songs for the rest of my life.

XM Satellite radio has a setup that lets you receive their feed through your PC. Its not Internet radio--it basically just uses your PC as a tuner and you have to buy a separate satellite antenna (like $70). You'll get over 100 stations. Then $9.95 month.

The metal station is very good, they'll play just about anything, but the emphasis is on brutality (Dying Fetus, Vehemence, Six Feet Under, Goatwhore, Suffocation, and etc. X 100). Sometimes bands like Opeth get short shrift, but I think it might be because their songs are too long.

The prog station is nice as well (King Crimson, Camel, Porcupine Tree, Rush, early Yes, etc.).

Obviously. By good I mostly meant a station that actually has some variety and doesn't only play the most predictable bands. SnakeNet seems pretty nice. I listened for a while yesterday and they played songs ranging from Halford to Motorhead to Suffocation to some crazy Norwegian sounding band that I don't remember the name of.

I'll check the other one out soon. Thanks for the links though. If anyone knows any others that'd be great. I wouldn't mind stations that play industrial either, if anyone happens to know one of those.