Unforgiven III Cover

afxwinter

Aug 14, 2007
Just got a new mic yesterday and thought I'd test out dual-micing for the first time. Let me know if I'm going about this the right way and if it sound right and not out of phase. I could use as much help/criticism as I can get.
afxwinter - Unforgiven III.mp3

Here's the mic setup for the clip, it's quad-tracked also:
MicPosition09-07-08.jpg

Pretty cool! Haven't heard the original, but judging from the other clips I've heard, the snare should come up about 900dB. :)

Guitars sound great, drums I'm not too keen on but they might be just place-holders? Phase issues it does sound like theres a little, comes across as a sort of chorus effect, but I probly wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't mentioned them.

The drums could definitely be better you're right, I'm still trying to figure out how to get the best sound out of Ezdrummer with mediocre results. One of these days maybe someone will be nice enough to offer a cubase template with a kick ass ezdrummer setup. :)
Yep it's an MD421, that's the one I just picked up. It sure is nice having a dual-mic setup, I still need to play around with the positioning to avoid any sort of phase issues, I'm not sure I like the chorusing effect I'm getting.

Pretty nice dude.......
One question though....is that the tv in the background in the intro?
I can't really tell how loud this is in the mix because i'm hearing it through my headphones right now...:p

Sounds great, a little bit of that chorusey sound, but a damn good attempt none the less. Look into one of those plugins that you can get to adjust the phase, not that it should be any replacement for getting it right first time, but sometimes you have to rush things a bit :p

What amp are you using btw?

Yeah when I was recording the clean parts my gf was watching tv. :lol: I'll re-record it if I get a chance

My amp's a Mesa/Boogie Mark III head -> Recto 2x12