Universal Audio 2-117 Compressor

digitaldeath

Dec 7, 2008
Waterford, Ireland
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone here has any experience with the UA 2-1176? I currently use plugins for this kinda stuff but a buddy of mine's selling his 2-1176 for €1,500 and I'm wondering if it'd be really worth the investment so I can finally start using outboard gear!
I'd love to hear your opinion, cheers!

Lol, yes others have said the same but I guess I just really need to know why I should get it. I don't have any experience with outboard gear and am even a bit clueless as to how I'd incorporate it into my PTMP setup!

Do you have an idea of what you'd use it for?

The 2-1176 doesn't really sound like a traditional 1176, but it does do a good job on things like vocals and bass guitar, as well has heavily compressed room mics. Depending on what instruments you're looking to use it on, there might be a better compressor for the job for the same (or less) money.

If you're not sure exactly how you'd be using it, your money would probably be best spent elsewhere. Identify the weaknesses in your setup, or something you're not happy with in your recordings, and put the money towards that.

Do you have an idea of what you'd use it for?

The 2-1176 doesn't really sound like a traditional 1176, but it does do a good job on things like vocals and bass guitar, as well has heavily compressed room mics. Depending on what instruments you're looking to use it on, there might be a better compressor for the job for the same (or less) money.

If you're not sure exactly how you'd be using it, your money would probably be best spent elsewhere. Identify the weaknesses in your setup, or something you're not happy with in your recordings, and put the money towards that.

Read: BUY IT!

haha.

You can use it for outboard vocal/bass/drum compression, guitars if you wanted to... You can use it for master bus compression as well.

Thanks for the info guys, I mainly plan to use it on drums and vox.
Now how'd I go about using it with a PTMP (Profire 2626 x2) setup? Compress on the way in? Wire it up to use during mixing only?

Naill ur sure getting the gear in, id love a 2 1176 to add to my stuff if i had the money!

personally id have it available to a patch bay and then you can choose in an instant how u wana use it! bare in mind on a hardware insert on PT you have to have the same output channel going into the same input channel, which is exactly why id have it only available via patchbay as all mixes and requirements are different. does the profire have 8 outputs as well as the 8 mic/line inputs?

Yes it does ;)

8 analog ins, 8 analog outs, 16x ADAT i/o, spdif, MIDI and Word.

Naill ur sure getting the gear in, id love a 2 1176 to add to my stuff if i had the money!

personally id have it available to a patch bay and then you can choose in an instant how u wana use it! bare in mind on a hardware insert on PT you have to have the same output channel going into the same input channel, which is exactly why id have it only available via patchbay as all mixes and requirements are different. does the profire have 8 outputs as well as the 8 mic/line inputs?

Cheers man, I'll keep that in mind! Think I'll pull the trigger on this one after Christmas! Moving into a new house next week so I'll have to spend a bit on treating the room before I get any more gear!

I have it. I'm using channel A and B in seriel with different ratios for vox and bass. You can compress ALOT with this unit and it still sounds good.

I'd say get it!