unofficial TSE X40 testing (one-channel ampsim)

Here's a mega rough test mix I just whipped up in the 5 minutes with the X40.
I'm running the 64bit with Reaper64 and so far no issues at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I want to start programing vst's where should I start?
start by surfing a week here and then decide what you want to make, and how to do it..
I first touched vst programming 3 years ago, 99% of the time i've spent doing this has been on studying the circuits i wanted to model, and how to avoid using simple static waveshapers..
(I had to learn C++ at the same time.. :lol:)

Reactions: State.Of.Chrysalis
I tried the X40 out last night for maybe an hour. I had no issues running it. Sonically, it has a very different flavor than the X50. I'd say it sounds more similar to the X30 than the X50. I'm a BIG X50 fan so the X50 will probably continue to be the main TSE attraction for me.

Onqel... If the Neversane guy doesn't want or have time to help you with a gui, I'd be happy to help. Just let me know. I make a nice living doing 3D modeling/design, so designing a gui for you would be no prob, but because I do this kind of stuff for a living, I like to get away from it on my off time. Just offering my services if you need graphic help.

x40 panned left x50 panned right

I like it. It sounds more open.

shitty recording with shitty equipment monitored through shitty headphones.
I actually mean shitty, 30€ Thomann interface, 20€ Behringer headphones and a fucked up guitar
with old ass strings and a Gibson Neck humbucker in the bridge because it was the only stuff I
had lying around, besides that, the Bass is actually nice, X40, too.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/73276802/x40test.mp3

Sorry for the sloppy playing, just wanted to give the song a go, it's got a pod rat previous to the ampsim

Only 'weird' thing I've seen is a really high peak at something like 20khz, but now that I think twice, maybe it was my home made IR... I'll have to check tomorrow, sounds AWESOME to me, it's got the scratchy edge I like and search for even in the POD, the guitar track is not processed at all. Rocking stuff as usual, man!

Gave this a spin yesterday and I have to say that this is definitely my favourite TSE sim, in my opinion it sounds better than the x50. The only thing that struck me as a little odd is the resonant low end, got some peaks building up around 200-300hz. Even with the low knob at 12 o'clock it gets boomy compared to x50 and Lecto.
Also a presence knob could be useful (especially if you were to add a rectifier tonestack), right now it feels like I have to get surgical with an EQ to remove the fizz that the high knob introduces along with clarity. Or perhaps I'm just not used to dialing it in yet, either way I'll have to play around a bit more with it.
Only tried the 32bit version so far and it didn't crash once in Reaper 4 on win7, no problems whatsoever.

Here's a quick recording I made with the x40 (had to multiband comp the low end pretty hard on guits and they're still a bit muddy): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13494639/brenne2r.mp3

The 5150 have some high frequencies roll-off in front of the tonestack which I didn't implement in the X40, I can try to add the feature to switch between the tonestacks as requested earlier, with the presence-knob of the mesa-tonestack included.. If I implement the poweramp it get the presence-control of the 5150 as well..
The downside of the poweramp is the added cpu-usage.. at this stage it's only a preamp, but the extra dynamics modeling I included (grid current limiting on capacitors etc) have increased the cpu-usage over the X50-"standard" .. Whatever it ends up with, I will try to make it sound good :p

Like reg3n said... The sim sounds good already, but it might not work for certain situations. For the stuff reg3n is playing, this sim sounds perfect. For me, I really love the vintage channel on a recto, so the more modern sounding amps aren't as much to my liking.Alternatives are the spice of life!

Great to see a new ONqel release.
Will test this with Studio One
I'm hoping to see an X64 version of the x30 and x50, please please!

MetalMiller: Sounds cool, and I agree about the guitarhack's impulses, they sound good with this thing and they are definately my favourite ones overall ;)

I will push at least one more update on this before I go to work again thursday next week.. (fixed artifacts issue, optimization, mesa-tonestack etc)

X40_preview2.png

Changes for v0.6:
- Added low/high gain option
- Added a recto tonestack ('voice' switch)
- Added the presence control for the fifty "voice"
- Increased overall output volume.

TSE X40 v0.6 - Win 32bit VST
TSE X40 v0.6 - Win 64bit VST