Until the Light Takes Us (Black Metal Movie Premiering in LA on 10/31)

Grisnak

New Metal Member
Oct 21, 2008
All,

Come check out the World Premiere of UNTIL THE LIGHT TAKES US at AFI FEST 2008 on Halloween (Friday, October 31)

Screening times & locations:
Friday, Oct 31 / 7:45 pm / ArcLight Theater, 6063 Sunset Blvd. (& N. Gower St.) (WORLD PREMIERE)
Wednesday, Nov 5 / 3 pm / Mann’s Chinese Theater, 6801 Hollywood Blvd. (& N. Highland Ave.)

UNTIL THE LIGHT TAKES US is a feature length documentary about Black Metal.

The story is infamous. It begins like this: In the late 80’s and early 90’s, a small underground scene of Norwegian metal musicians was forming. At the same time, Norwegian churches started to burn. As reporters and police scrambled for answers, church after church went up in flames. The authorities had no leads until musician Varg “Count Grishnackh” Vikernes, a complex thinker with an unconventional set of extreme nationalistic, anti-Christian and anti-Semitic beliefs, took credit. He was held for questioning long enough for the media to run with a largely fabricated story.

Spurred on by lurid reports of Satanic rituals, abductions and sacrifices, other young men began to appropriate the idea of Black Metal. Taking cues from Grishnackh, and finding encouragement in the man many thought of as the scene’s godfather, Øystein “Euronymous” Aarseth, they began a rash of copycat church burnings and other serious crimes. This lead to wider media coverage and Black Metal, or rather the sensationalized version of it, grew in popularity until it was available in record stores world-wide and was profiled in every major music publication, from Spin to Rolling Stone to Vice, even serving as the inspiration for popular animated shows in the U.S. Successful visual artists such as Harmony Korine and Bjarne Melgaard (both interviewed in the film) are now recontextualizing black metal as contemporary art in international exhibitions.

Part modern art movement, part terrorist movement, part rock scene, Black Metal has many meanings to many people and is fraught with misperceptions. UNTIL THE LIGHT TAKES US gives the originators the chance to reveal, in their own words, what it was all about. Far from a “rockumentary”, the film is a thoughtful examination of this enigmatic movement, the impact it has had on the world and the lasting effect the world has had on its creators.

FEATURING THE MUSIC OF: BLACK DICE, BOARDS OF CANADA, BURZUM, DARKTHRONE, ENSLAVED, GORGOROTH, LESSER, MAYHEM, MUM, THORNS, ULVER

Tickets go on sale to the public on Friday, October 10. To purchase tickets and press passes go to http://filmguide.afifest.com/tixSYS/2008/filmguide/films/3639 or call 866-AFI-FEST (234-3378).

p.s. The f$*king cool poster for the film is here: http://cid-c353101d1fb42c92.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Until%20the%20Light/UNTILTHELIGHT|_WEB.jpg

Why do I have a feeling that this is still going to be horribly inaccurate and stupid?

'cause such things typically are.

It's (sorta) named after an awesome album, though.

I love Boards of Canada but them being mentioned on the soundtrack. lolwut.

And yeah, as someone said above, I can imagine this will be shit.

Not rly, generally a nice town, but so boring. The village council (yes we're considered a village now) are retards and won't let anyone build anything here. Not that we have much land anyway. Also - HS Football has always been the highlight but this year we are 4-5 and will be 4-6.

Leave the rotting corpse that is Black Metal in the grave. I don't mean to say that we shouldn't appreciate the genre and the works from the past. But for me, I'm tired of seeing these burnouts live in the past and soak up every last drop of their past glories.

Let's look towards the future with some new ideas and music and pay notice to those bands that are trying something new.