Up the downstair-Porcupine Tree

go with up the downstair/ staircase infinities

Staircase Infinities is suh-weet

or hell, just get coma divine for a mix of Signify and Up the Downstair (plus a killer rendition of Moonloop)

Benighted1 said:
What makes you say that
The fact that it is arguably their best album. It also has the incredible Dark Matter, which is unquestionably PT's best song far and away.

Yeah I would say get as much PT as you can, but Signify should be your next step.

Up the Downstairs is great. Very trippy and atmospheric. Its got a couple of cool ten minute tracks on it....which is nice.

voyage 34 rocks. it's the perfect music for tripping or rolling or something of that sort.

someone tell me something...on the BBC Sessions they did...there's a handful of songs that the announcer/host says are from up the downstair, but they're not. like there's burning sky part 1 and 2, but the album doesn't have two different parts of it. they also a song called is not that's supposed to be from the sky moves sideways, I think, but that's not on there either. what's the deal?

I would recommend; Sky Moves Sideways and Signify first, make sure you get the remastered digi-pack of SMS. Also, be aware on Signify get the remaster not the Ark 21 release, it really sounds a lot better. Next, go with the remastered digi-pack of Up the Downstair with Staircase Infinities. IMO, Staircase is the best piece of music of all, a phycadelic masterpiece. Clearly, Porcupine Tree is one of the best bands working in the last ten yrs. I also suggest if you partake, to burn one end to end, and listen to all. Peace.

ironbeard said:
I would recommend; Sky Moves Sideways and Signify first, make sure you get the remastered digi-pack of SMS. Also, be aware on Signify get the remaster not the Ark 21 release, it really sounds a lot better. Next, go with the remastered digi-pack of Up the Downstair with Staircase Infinities. IMO, Staircase is the best piece of music of all, a phycadelic masterpiece. Clearly, Porcupine Tree is one of the best bands working in the last ten yrs. I also suggest if you partake, to burn one end to end, and listen to all. Peace.
you know that's the only way I can actually describe them; "really good drug music." imagine listening to voyage 34 on acid. it's kindof about that as it is, anyway. they are just quite possibly the best drug band ever. even compared to pink floyd.

Nexis said:
someone tell me something...on the BBC Sessions they did...there's a handful of songs that the announcer/host says are from up the downstair, but they're not. like there's burning sky part 1 and 2, but the album doesn't have two different parts of it. they also a song called is not that's supposed to be from the sky moves sideways, I think, but that's not on there either. what's the deal?
can someone help me out here? I have no idea what this stuff is and I'd like to figure out what exactly it's from. I'm [trying] to get all the rare stuff like alt. mixes used as b-sides on singles and whatever else. I have all the double/limited albums.