UPDATE: The death and ressurection of Katagory V?

Dustin

C-C-Cool Beans!!!
It has been a long time since there has been any news or updates in the Katagory V camp concerning the next album, so I felt it was time to shed some light on what's been happening over the past few months with the band. As previously mentioned, co-founder and drummer Matt Suiter announced back in November that he had left the band. Since his departure, everything in Katagory V seemed to fall apart very quickly, as we have already been struggling with several personal and financial issues which have been plaguing the band internally for a long time, and finally these issues came to full fruition after Matt's departure.

As of December 11th of 2009, Katagory V had pretty much broken up. Curtis (Morrell -guitars and co-founder) pulled me aside just before a rehearsal session that evening and told me that he was leaving the band as well. He had also fallen victim to the wares of the business, and felt that he gave all he could and was creatively and emotionally drained. He was my business partner and my other half concerning songwriting. With Curtis now gone, it had left the band homeless and destitute, and to add insult to injury, with material for the next album 90% complete up to that point, he had decided that if the Katagory V were to continue without him, he did not want the band to record the next album using any of the material he had written for it. He deemed his contributions to be subpar and unworthy to be recorded and released, thus eliminating half of the songs already written. Although I disagreed with his feelings on this, as a friend, I agreed to honor his request. Following close behind Curtis in leaving the band would also be guitarist Mike Thiriot who had only been in Katagory V less than a year. At this point, I felt that after all the line up changes, especially over the last year, and losing two core members in the span of two weeks, that the band was over with.

I am going to go on record and say that I personally had high hopes for this band over a decade ago, but low expectations at the same time. In fact, I was impressed that we made it to a second album, let alone create four albums that would generate a loyal following worldwide. Being in a band from the geographically forsaken state of Utah? Especially one that plays a fairly underground and traditional style of metal? Who would have thought it possible!? Over the years, I have learned many lessons, and one of them being that the music business is everything that I feared it would be - a giant pit of empty pockets, fleeting dreams and broken promises. However, being that I was well aware of this when the band was formed, I learned to eventually swallow these fears and keep going, while over the years, others in the band let these fears consume them. Playing original music, especially the type that Katagory V plays, puts a lot stress on your personal life, as well as sucking your hard earned money out of your bank account with no return in sight. With these problems, it is easy to lose sight of your initial goals and what is important - and that is making great music for others to enjoy and having fun while doing it.

As the sole remaining original member, songwriter and founder of Katagory V, I was now in aband that had been reduced to a shell of what it was over a year ago in as little as two weeks, and also lost half an albums worth of material that was scheduled to be recorded at the beginning of February. Discouraged and depressed, I now had to make the hard decision of keeping what little remains of the band going, or drag up shop and call it a day for good. Before making that decision, I took the remainder of the holidays off to clear my thoughts and do a lot of soul searching. During this time, I struggled very hard with the idea of breaking the band up after all the work that was put into it, but was also finding it difficult to keep it going being that after 10 years and four albums, it seemed to me that the band did very little in making any impact or contributing anything noteworthy in our scene. Maybe I don't know when to quit, or maybe I enjoy the punishment and stress? Or possibly it is due to having this feeling that there is unfinishedbusiness that I need to see completed. In either case, I decided that I would keep the band going and do my best in keeping true to what Katagory V has done over the last ten years, while forging ahead with a fresh new line up for the next album. Whether this means the band will be a studio project or a live band, is still up in the air at the moment.

I have currently begun re-writing songs that were already penned for the next album as well as
writing new songs to replace what was removed after Curtis' departure. At this moment, the current members helping with the next album will be vocalist Albert Rybka as well as the latest addition to the band, drummer Matthew "Bizzaro" Lefevre. Concerning guitarists, I am not rushing in to fill that void at the moment, as I am handling those duties myself for writing purposes. However, I will be looking at several talented candidates that may work out perfectly for either helping with the recording the next album, playing live, or both. One of them might even be a former Katagory V alumni returning to the fold, so… nothing is concrete at the moment, and only time will tell. Also, any other guitarists interested in possibly being the next axe-slinger can contact me through the bands official website www.Katagory5.com

Although I am sure it will be several months before Katagory V has anything to offer as far as news concerning new material or even new members; I am confident that once the band is stabilized and material for the next album is complete and ready to record, I will then post some demo clips for everyone to hear, as well as consider the possibility of taking the band back into a live situation once again. Until then, I want to personally thank our fans, friends and the media, who have helped us over the last ten years, without your support, I doubt the band would have even made it this far. I can only ask that everyone be patient, and I promise that news concerning a new Katagory V album will see the light of day in the not-so-distant future.

I'm sure anybody who is a fan of the band may find this pill a tough one to swallow. I'm just as weary of numerous lineup changes within the bands I love as you are. This news may sound depressing, but I truly believe there is a light at the end of this tunnel. I like to focus on the "resurrection" part of this update, as that is exactly what's going to happen. The music you will hear from Katagory V in the future is going to be the result of hard work and harder emotions. I've never known a more determined and passionate duo of musicians than Dustin and Bizarro, and I'm certain that we will surprise a lot of people when the time comes to unveil this beast. I know this is all coming from a new guy in the band and that actions speak louder than words, so I think I'll get off my soapbox and let the music do the talking when the time comes. I just hope you're all prepared.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Really sad news. :(

I hope that there will be a "resurrection", but I am sad because Katagory V will not be the same without Curtis and Matt.

Keep the flame alive, guys!

Wow Dustin, that is one depressing press statement. The way Al was talking, I was led to believe you were much more optimistic than this press release would indicate. It really looks like you were leading up to saying "That's it, I'm throwing in the towel!" and then you hit us all with "Looking for guitar players, go to our website if interested."

Were you feeling discouraged when you wrote this? Because the whole statement is really rather depressing. :(

it seemed to me that the band did very little in making any impact or contributing anything noteworthy in our scene

Ummm...I know the band took some flack for "A New Breed of Rebellion," but to me that has become a metal classic (I know two others who feel the same way) and is an album that will ALWAYS have a top spot on the disc player. No, it did not change my life, but it still gives me pleasures of the musical kind.

So as far as I am concerned, the band has done a lot with making an impact or contributing anything noteworthy in the scene.

Ummm...I know the band took some flack for "A New Breed of Rebellion," but to me that has become a metal classic (I know two others who feel the same way) and is an album that will ALWAYS have a top spot on the disc player. No, it did not change my life, but it still gives me pleasures of the musical kind.

So as far as I am concerned, the band has done a lot with making an impact or contributing anything noteworthy in the scene.

Thanks for the props! I personally felt that regardless of the production value of that album, which would be the equivalent to the production of "Them" from King Diamond and of which sounded like it was tracked in 88'; it has some really great songs on it. I've been known to slag that album publicly in the past, but only because of said reason above. It has become more and more apparent that there are a lot of K5 fans that really love that album, and I guess it all boils down to the fact that it was more on the critics shoulders as to how it was received. Those that walked into it without expecting this Fredrik Nordstrom or Andy Sneap- production value, came away from it thinking it was a fantastic album. Although it would have been nice for it to have a better, thicker sound, it still has some of the best, and even most progressive/technical songs the band has ever recorded.

I'm glad to hear it's in your top spins!!!

OrbWeaver said:
Wow Dustin, that is one depressing press statement. The way Al was talking, I was led to believe you were much more optimistic than this press release would indicate. It really looks like you were leading up to saying "That's it, I'm throwing in the towel!" and then you hit us all with "Looking for guitar players, go to our website if interested."

Were you feeling discouraged when you wrote this? Because the whole statement is really rather depressing. :(

Absolutely I was feeling discouraged and depressed when I wrote it. Of course, I wrote this statement at the begging of January and was still a bit leery as to what was going to happen with keeping the band going, and what I was going to do to make it happen. Since then, things have been slowly moving forward and I've become much more optimistic, which is good, but it's not moving as fast as I would like, or am used to. Hopefully that will change here very soon.

Let me just make note of why moving forward was such a hard decision: Matt has been a friend for almost 20 years, and a school mate as well. We have been together in several bands over the years, so it was hard to see him go on a personal level. He is a phenomenal and creative drummer that was very underrated. It is unfortunate that many of his personal problems outside of the band finally caught up to him, and forced him out. I can only hope that one day he can pull himself out of the hole he dug for himself and get back into it again, he is far too talented to give it up. Curtis on the other hand, I had only known half as long as Matt, but was one that I would consider a "best friend" in most respects. We did everything together concerning the band, as well as things outside of the band - I took him for granted concerning many of his talents, most of which had to do with his technical abilities as an engineer and producer. I thought he would always be there by my side, like Batman and Robin, and never really gave it a second thought as to what would happen if he left the band… I was a fool to think it would last, so his decision to leave nearly pushed me over the edge. Even though he gave his reasons, which I explained in the previous press release, I feel Matt leaving the band was what made Curtis decide he didn’t want to continue either, as Curtis felt Matt was irreplaceable as a drummer. He didn't have to tell me this, I just knew from the events leading up to him quitting that he felt that way. At this point, he knew it was going to be a different band, and operate differently in many respects, and sometime big changes like this are hard for some to deal with.

Even though both of them haven't said it to me personally, I know that both Curtis and Matt think I'm crazy to keep the band going, that I should let go and move on to something else, and that it probably won't get very far off the ground if it ever does. But this band has always been my baby, my outlet and my passion, I can't just let go because others don't "feel it" anymore. I choose my own path, and what I want should not be decided by others! You must understand, I love Curtis and Matt, they are my brothers and are still good friends, but these guys are used to doing things in a very old-school fashion concerning song writing and rehearsing material, and I feel that it doesn't need to be done the way we've been doing it for the last 10 years. In fact, in order for this band to continue, it CANNOT be run the way it has been in the past, it would be virtually impossible. Matt hated the fact that Albert lived in another state, and was not in the studio with us everyday. He complained about it quite often, and even approached me just before he quit, asking if we could find someone in Utah that sang, even if they weren’t that good, just so we had a singer in the studio all the time with us. WTF!? …and Curtis really didn't enjoy all the work involved with tracking and mixing out songs to send back and forth to Albert, as well as having to keep teaching new band members the back catalogue of songs. I don't blame him on that, but it had become a necessary evil, and will continue to be with me as well now. With all the turn around in members, and the uncertainty in keeping the band going, I suggested that we might have to outsource more musicians outside of Utah to make it work, and that idea didn't fare very well, as Matt decided to quit shortly after I suggested that, and Curtis right behind him… and bless Mike's heart, he tried to stick it out, but felt things were going to go nowhere too.

But as they say, out with the old and in with the new? let's me say a few things about the guys that wanted to stick by my side regardless of the outcome. Albert has been a godsend during this time, and is not only a talented vocalist, but has become a close friend. It is rare to find a great vocalist with charisma, drive and talent, and still have no ego! I often think I won the lottery when getting him into the band. If Albert had ended up singing for Shankle' s band, he might not have had the time to commit to Katagory V, so things may not have happened the way they did, so I'm glad I got the better end of the deal. Matthew "Bizzaro" could not have come along at a better time. I often think things happen for a reason, and it might have just been the hand of fate playing along when he auditioned. If he had not come along when he did, the band would certainly be dead by now. He has all the elements that old Matt had concerning creativity and talent, but is able to expand on ides even farther. Bizzaro has been an integral piece of the puzzle, and has been injecting a lot of new life into the music that is being written (and rewritten) right now. The bottom line is that Utah has a rather shallow talent pool, or at least not very deep when it comes to talented musicians that want to play this type of music. I feel fortunate to be in league with these two talented gentlemen.

Over the years of being in Katagory V, I started out as just the Bass player and songwriter, and latter would take on many other responsibilities, including everything that needs to be done outside of just creating music. The joke among the local scenesters and other bands, and even some of the media was that they would always refer to me as the "Main Guy" of the band. While this may be true, I was also one of the creative forces behind the bands music, so with that in mind, I guess it was possible for things to continue in Katagory V without loosing the integrity or sound that was created over the last decade.

During the time away from the band, I saw things from the outside looking in and realize how many unnecessary compromises and red tape I had to cut through with many of the former members of the band. I had no idea just how bad my hands were tied concerning many musical and business decisions. I always felt that a band should be fair and run like a democracy, but it occurred to me that I've been running this band behind the scene like a puppeteer for this long, but I had to always do it in and effort to always keep everyone motivated and interested. This is something that I found to no long necessary or reasonable, as I believe I am the now the only one that really needs to be the one that's happy. I am the one that has stuck it out this long and as the sole remaining original member, I now have the freedom to take the band where I have felt is has always needed to go, and that is UP.

I know many fans might be apprehensive at the idea of me taking over the band in it's entirety musically, that it will change the bands sound or style, and compromise what Katagory V is about. I'm sure things will change, especially with having a whole new set of musicians, but it will be for the better. As I've mentioned before, I've been the guiding force behind the band, so I can guarantee that Katagory V will remain true to what it's been known for - True U.S. Heavy Metal, injected with mixtures of thrash, power, progressive and melodic metal. The drive and talent is there, the musicians are almost in place, the only thing that would bring things to a complete standstill, would be the financial aspect of it, which is an ever looming problem that I'm trying to avoid the best I can.

Matt leaving...I could tell he wasn't quite feeling it anymore. So it was sad when he left, but I sincerely hope he's doing something he really loves at this point. However, Curtis leaving did come as a shock to me. It seemed to come out of nowhere from a fan perspective. The loss of some really great songs for the new album is a rather depressing thought, too. I know you and Al really liked some of those songs, and I certainly do, too! So it was like "Wow, one of the Kat-V masterminds is leaving, and taking his music with him. Bummer." :(

But at the same time, I think the loss of the old members will offer some flexibility for the band as you bring in new members. Dustin, I think now is a great time for you to stretch your musical wings and see what you can churn out. I DEFINITELY want to see what Bizarro contributes, and I know Al is excited about adding to the creative process, too.

Back when Al was trying to decide whether or not to audition, I did a quick reading for him. Not to go into too much detail, because I realize that not many folks believe in this (and I'm putting myself on the line, here) but the reading basically said "If you get in to the band, this will be a rich opportunity for you." I think that opportunity is part of Kat-V's destiny as well, even if you don't have the core members. It wouldn't be a great opportunity for Al if the band was destined to go nowhere. So I think Kat-V still has many opportunities ahead.

And yes Dustin, you ARE insane for keeping it going. But it's the good kind of insanity. :)

I guess I had better put my 2 cents in.....
I know that the past few months for me have been a lot of fun! Dustin and I seem to have a real good writing chemistry* -That says a lot because I've heard of some of the great musicians of the world come together, and they can't write for sh*t together. I feel fortunate to get together every week and get the creative energy out, with someone who respects and undersatnds my ideas. I think because of that, the next and subsequent ablums will be like nothing that Katagory V fans have heard from the band yet. It could good or bad depending on what you the listener want to get out of listening to Katagory V. Im sure there will be opinions from every direction, I for one don't care- I just want to make music that appeals to me and sastifys my addicton to drumming :)
-"BiZzaro"