Updates From JUDAS PRIEST Frontman ROB HALFORD

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
Halford also talked about his black metal yearnings and revealed his desire to work with EMPEROR frontman IHSAHN. "Where it is cold and wet and dark and damp, that is where some of the greatest metal in the world comes from - Norway Sweden and Denmark, those climates," Halford explains. "I have to do my black album with Ihsahn at some point. It's a burning desire of mine to park myself in Scandinavia for awhile and work with that genius. He's making a second solo record - (the follow-up) to The Adversary (2006), which I couldn't stop playing. I have this burning desire to make at least one record with Ihsahn at some point, just me and him together. That's just on my list of haven't been there, haven't done that yet."

:zombie: I refuse to make any comment.

"All the Nostradamus writing sessions are completed," says The Metal God, "and Ken (K.K. Downing - guitar) and Glenn (Tipton - guitar) are in the studio at the moment doing their bits. So that is going to take a while because it is just massive."

Have you written about lyrics yet for it? "I have the bulk of them sketched out. I have just come back to San Diego for a little bit of a break end to support this big slew of Halford reissues. I am working on my Nostradamus lyrics as we speak. On this recent trip I can't remember how long I was in England. It was over a month. The writing sessions have taken about three months, much like they did for Angel Of Retribution (2005). There are still ideas coming up for Nostradamus all the time, but the bulk of it is done."

When asked about the monstrous undertaking so late in their career, Halford beams - "Isn't it great, it is our first ever concept album/metal opera. We are just so stoked about that. After the critically acclaimed Angel Of Retribution and the success the metal fans gave us for that record, it would been an even bigger task to to go in and do another studio album. And then Nostradamus raised his head and we all went 'Oh my God, this is unbelievable, did Nostradamus prophecize that Judas Priest would be doing at metal opera about his life in 2007?' It is so cool isn't it? We are just immersed in the land and world of Nostradamus right now. It is incredible."

Halford adds: "Our feeling in Priest with Nostradamus was that the fans have been clamoring for a concept album for as long as we've been together. Some people think that Painkiller (1990) was a concept album. Some people think that Sad Wings Of Destiny (1976) was a concept album. Both of them were not. But this is a moment now, three decades later, where we can put all that thinking in one place, and create this one big metal opera called Nostradamus. And everybody will be happy - in happy metal land we hope!"

Listen first, opinions second.

Halford also talked about his black metal yearnings and revealed his desire to work with EMPEROR frontman IHSAHN. "Where it is cold and wet and dark and damp, that is where some of the greatest metal in the world comes from - Norway Sweden and Denmark, those climates," Halford explains. "I have to do my black album with Ihsahn at some point. It's a burning desire of mine to park myself in Scandinavia for awhile and work with that genius. He's making a second solo record - (the follow-up) to The Adversary (2006), which I couldn't stop playing. I have this burning desire to make at least one record with Ihsahn at some point, just me and him together. That's just on my list of haven't been there, haven't done that yet."

That sounds intresting.
Halford singing Black Metal. :kickass:

I read about the black metal thing months ago..maybe even longer, I thought it was a cool idea then and I still do. I think it would be extremely interesting at least. Ishahn is great and so is Halford. I doubt it would be a tr00 Bm album, but it could be cool.

Hawk said:
What's that supposed to mean?

Don't get excited - just a joke. I'm old...didn't grow up in the age of Uber-tolerance and all that. We never even suspected 'ol Rob of being gay way back...imagine the innocence of it all.
Anyway, I have plenty of respect for the man's music, but I'm not so sure about a BM collaboration...perhaps it will be great...

OldScratch said:
Don't get excited - just a joke. I'm old...didn't grow up in the age of Uber-tolerance and all that. We never even suspected 'ol Rob of being gay way back...imagine the innocence of it all.
Anyway, I have plenty of respect for the man's music, but I'm not so sure about a BM collaboration...perhaps it will be great...

Lets hope so. :) Btw I am old as well 48, and I don't care about his sexual preference. I do care about his music though... :headbang: Like the BBC disc jockey Tommy Vance used to say: "It's the music that matters".

Welcome to the board.

Hawk said:
Lets hope so. :) Btw I am old as well 48, and I don't care about his sexual preference. I do care about his music though... :headbang: Like the BBC disc jockey Tommy Vance used to say: "It's the music that matters".

Welcome to the board.

It is the music that matters - how very true! Thanks for the welcome...I'm but a spry 37 years old. :lol: One of the things I like about this whole Site(and naturally this board) is that a number of members are 'old-timer' metal fans. Many I grew up with still follow and listen to the music to some degree or another...it really is in the blood after all. Then again, one need look no further than Mr. Halford and the boys themselves still cranking away!

OldScratch said:
It is the music that matters - how very true! Thanks for the welcome...I'm but a spry 37 years old. :lol: One of the things I like about this whole Site(and naturally this board) is that a number of members are 'old-timer' metal fans. Many I grew up with still follow and listen to the music to some degree or another...it really is in the blood after all. Then again, one need look no further than Mr. Halford and the boys themselves still cranking away!

Indeed! That is so true. The 80s generation had become of age and is still cranking it up and loving it! And that great!

Priest of Evil said:
^Sorry guys, I dont agree. None of the guys I hung with are metallers anymore bar me.

None of the guys I always hung with were true metalheads. So now I'm finding them (mostly on this forum :lol: ) when I'm about to hit 40 :)