Upgrade Celestion Seventy 80

aortizjr

Oct 28, 2007
Santa Fe, NM
www.ortizaudio.net
I just scored a Randall 4x12 Model RS412CX straight at GC for $99. Sweet! I have been looking for a lighter weight cab. And sort of a beater cab so when I play shit clubs for 10 people I don't have to sweat my ENGL getting stolen or shit on.

Opening it up, to my surprise it has Celestion Red Label Seventy 80's in it. From poking around, Red Label seems to mean China made before all production was moved there.

Via the Jackplate, the back is plywood. Not sure if it is birch for sure, but it is much denser than regular construction plywood and from the texture I would guess it is birch. From the peeling tolex, the back and sides are the same. The front baffle is MDF, no doubt, that I know how to recognize.

I have never seen Randall cabs Front loaded, and this one is. With a metal grill also. It is using T-Nuts so swapping should be cake. I mean I guess someone could jave swapped back-plates, but the soldering is sort of unusual by using a PCB for the jacks and a PCB inside the cab. So I suspect it is orginal. No batting or foam or dampening inside either.

Compared to my ENGL Pro (Vintage 30's, birch ply). The Randall is much darker and boomy. Mixed, the ENGL just stomps all over it like the Randall isn't even on.

Interestingly, I thought that 70/80's were supposed to lack low-end and be sort of harshly bright. That is definitely not the case with this cab. I know cabs make a big difference, but that much of a difference? Crazy. Maybe the Red Labels are different?

Any thoughts for an upgrade of speakers?

Ideally something that will mix well with the ENGL and Vintage 30's if I ever get the urge to run a full stack. But also one that will stand strong on its own.

Any information on the cab or speakers or thoughts would be awesome!

Because Celestions are now chinese made... I guess I am more interested in Eminence, Warehouse Guitar Speakers, Weber's, Jensen's etc. Man NEO's would be sweet for weight issues if they can sound good... hmm....