Upgrading converters

streetwise

Nov 29, 2008
I'm going to record our bands full album next month, so I'm thinking if I should invest in 2 channels of better converters. Everything but drums is recorded in just 1-2 channels anyway. I have M-Audio Octane going in and ADA8000 going out of RME HDSPe Raydat now. I'm going to build an SSL 9k preamp soon.

I'm looking at the RME ADI-2 as I've been very satisfied with RME prosumer gear. Any good? Other recommendations in the price range, or should I start saving for a used Rosetta 200 (it's pretty much out of budget currently though)?

What's your whole recording setup including monitors? Do you have room treatment? Converters are probably the last thing in your chain you'd want to upgrade.

What's your whole recording setup including monitors? Do you have room treatment? Converters are probably the last thing in your chain you'd want to upgrade.

In: M-Audio Octane and Behringer ADA8000 -> RME HDSPe Raydat
Out: Raydat -> ADA8000 -> SM Pro M-Patch 2 -> Genelec 8040

Possibly DIY SSL 9k preamps soon. I need a laser printer first to make the PCBs...

I just thought using quality A/D converters would be wise as most of the recording is done with one or two tracks simultaneously. And I don't quite trust the ADA8000 for output either... My room does need some treatment, I'm working on that too...

Okay I didn't get new converters yet. But my ADA8000 died during reamping a few weeks ago, so now I really need to get a new D/A. Any experience with TC BMC-2?

that sucks to hear man. But the rosetta has DA as well so perhaps now it makes sense to invest in it?

or a lynx L22? (cheaper) the RME you mentionned as well.

OK ill shut up because i havent tried any of these yet. Its just that im going through the same thing now and need to make a decision soon.

Was considering the rosetta but heard the apogee are geared more twds mac and im using a pc. That doesnt mean the rosetta wont work but i havent checked yet.

and yes im a noob. lol

Gluck man!

if your looking for 2 channels of good a/d look for a used apogee mini-me. you can usually pick one up for around $600us if you can find one. (I think they quit making them cuz they were cutting into the rosetta sales lol) two channels of great conversion with built in soft limiter and it has 2 good sounding clean preamps too. I actually use it to clock my hd setup and it sounds better than the hd clock/converters(I only have the 96i though) there is a usb option for it too to go straight into you daw but since I'm using pt I go through sdif. it is for sure one of the best purchases I have made.