Upgrading from 2 GB RAM up to 3 BG RAM on a windows XP (pro) based PC?

Jun 2, 2005
I heard you could do it, but that windows XP will only let you use it up till 2 GB worth of RAM at max.. is this true?

Bob, may I ask why exactly do you need 3gb? I have 2gb in my PC and never needed anything close to all of it, and here at the studio we have 6gb and have certainly had more complex sessions here than at my house and have never needed all of that either. Just curious what kind of 1,000 track projects you plan on doing in the future...or how many instances of DFHS you plan to have open at once. :lol:

~006

black sugar said:
Bounce to disk, freeze tracks...

Or less plugins maybe? :Spin:

Bouncing has never worked for me. Sometimes I apply all the effects I need, then mix down kick, snare, toms, overheads & ambient separately. Works well enough.

In my exp, adding more RAM is not going to help with plug-ins. That is more a CPU hog.

I've been out of the loop for a bit but I thought Windows XP could only use 1.8GB for the OS max. I knew there were some workarounds and this didn't effect multiple CPU PC's.

And when TPC in DFHS, there really is no reason to need that much RAM.

That Ram may help your EWQLchoirs out. And if you do not use D.F.H.S.'s 16bit & T.P.C. you'll need at least a gig and a half to run it in your D.A.W. if you have many mic bleeds 'on'.

Just, set your mic bleeds in the construction window. Do all your programming. Do scratch tracks of your guitars. Offline bounce in the D.F.H.S. sampler. Bring the 24 bit mic bled .Wav files back in your session and you'll have alot of CPU power and ram since you will not need D.F.H.S. open (you have the .wav files in the session already). Yes, it's more work. But A.)You get 24 bit files to play with and B.) More CPU power:D Re-do or just use the scratch tracks and Bammmm!!!!!
Hahaha... the New Intel/Mac Quads have room for 16 gigs of Ram!!!!! My Gawd!!!!!! It would cost you a fortune just to max the thing out!!!! Alot of guys forget or do not know that D.F.H.S. will have ALL your mic bleed settings in the .Wav files when you use it's offline bounce feature. You do not have to have those turned 'on' in the construction window, just set them in the main window. I know you'll get it Bobby!!!!:headbang:
Now getting that EWQLS Choirs to sing is another story!!:D

GORILLA

Allright..

First of all, thanks for the replies!

Much needed maybe, i tried bouncing DFHS the other day, did not work out since it crashed then.. i need to work on that first then..

I think it's the way i work.. first, i do a processed drumtrack, so it sounds good from the start, that get's me all excited so i get more energy to do my best even more..
But, the drumtrack is raw in structure, just a lot of copy/pasting going on by then..

I do use a lot of plugins.. yes, i use drumagog 2 times.. on the kick and the snare..
Another big one is the P soundshifter from waves.. man, that thing EATS CPU like nothing else..

and offcourse, voxengo pristine space.. another big one..

You see, when i hit the hihats in DFHS, the 1 ranging up to 3 hits, and i mix them up, the thing starts to stutter allready.. is this CPU clogging up?

I have a 2,8 CPU processor.. should i look into upgrading that one? instead of RAM? because, my CPU is up to 90% with bigass projects sometimes..

Thanks..

Black neon bob said:
You see, when i hit the hihats in DFHS, the 1 ranging up to 3 hits, and i mix them up, the thing starts to stutter allready.. is this CPU clogging up?

I have a 2,8 CPU processor.. should i look into upgrading that one? instead of RAM? because, my CPU is up to 90% with bigass projects sometimes..

Thanks..
No, not your computer:D Either it's --->Next time that happens, go back to the main window in D.F.H.S. You'll probably see a yellow light by the 'not loaded' status area or a blue light in one of the kits pieces (probably your hi hats). That means somewhere on your piano roll you accidentally hit a note that has no sample for it!! No Biggie!!!!:) When we do tunes, I even if I think I did it perfect I re-check the tune with the main D.F.H.S. window open. That way if sh!t is messed up I'll spot it immediately in that window, re-play that area until things are right.

Or maybe you'll have to turn 'off' a few mic bleeds in the construction window, then all will be O.K.:headbang: