Upgrading some gear in Australia

philby82

Jan 13, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
Hey guys

Im looking to upgrade my home setup, with the aim of being able to do some pretty decent demos for myself and a few mates. Currently im just using a Toneport UX2, with a cheap pair of Edirol MA-7A for monitors. I use SD2/MF for the drums.

After reading up a bit on the threads in this section, i need to upgrade my UX2, the monitors and probably a DI. This is what i was thinking of getting but was looking for opinions, possibly even cheaper alternatives if they exist that will work just as well(especially ones that are maybe cheaper in Australia than others, or that people might have 2nd hand versions they are willing to part with).

Focusrite saffire pro 40 - only really looking to be able to record up to 4 inputs simulateously, but i spose down the track anythings possible. Im assuming i still need a DI for one of these?

Little labs redeye - to be used as a DI and for reamping down the track

And either the Behringer Truth monitors (i know behringer gets some mixed reviews, but these seem to get pretty good ones), or the KRK RP5's or 6's. Im only in a fairly small room.

Im in WA, so if anyone has any shops they recommend that give good deals, or even if they have some of this gear and they wouldn't mind giving me a demo, let me know :)

Hopefully you can all help me make a final decision.

Cheers

Phil

While not stunningly accurate and flat as such, the Truths can translate pretty well I find and anyway at that price point it's not reasonable to expect monitors that are super flat and accurate anyway. They do the job well for the price. Unless you upgrade your room, it's not really worth getting much better monitors anyway, and Truths seem a pretty good one to use in in non-treated, small rooms.
Did you mean the B2030A/2031A or the latest, B3030/B3031 set?

to be honest i haven't researched the major differences between the 2 models. They were just the other main type of speaker with reasonable reviews around that same pricetag as the krk's

Cheers

Phil