US Sneapsters - Sign This Petition and Fight Piracy!

Of course, I read it from day one. My further research is based on the technology implementation itself and how easy it is now to get around with existing browser plugins. No point in implementing a system that doesn't work.

Agreed. I went through most of it today. Seem more obstructive then preventative.

Something that I have learned recently is that calling for more regulation makes things worse for numerous reasons. If the system is truly free, then it should be up to the labels to determine how to fix their economic crisis. They should be working together to find a way for people to not need to pirate. There are resources to make things like this on the internet happen, they just aren't listening. I would in fact rather see them fail entirely, go bankrupt, because as soon as that happens, there will be another new label to establish it self and be using current technology to keep itself afloat. If the labels can make a profit and stay running, then the artists and other people in the music industry and movie industry can keep their earned paychecks. This is what freemarket capitalism is all about.

^ True dhat.

I dislike the fact that the internet has turned an effective business model that for about 7 decades (roughly from the 20s to the 90's) favored musicians and labels, into something that actually favors the listener almost exclusively these days. Nowadays a ''fan'' can get ALL the discography of an artist, the effort of the AEs, labels, all the investments and efforts put into making the music, for free.. and even be too much of a parasite as to not even bother to pay for a ticket and physically go to a concert, when DVDs, sorround blu-rays, live streamings, etc can also be had, and with ever increasing quality, ironically enough.
In a way technology encourages this couch-warming, parasitic behavior IMO.

Some 10 years ago when that whole Napster-Audiogalaxy kind of sites started popping out one after the next (and Metallica failed miserably at fighting them btw) I remember thinking to myself 'ahw shit'. Right then one would see all these events unfolding, and the increment on internet speeds is what will keep making matters worse I think. Too bad music is becoming less and less of a physical consumer product :(

The free flow of information favors everyone in more ways than one, but the way I see it, piracy is just a by-product of that freedom; one is tied to the other. I think we will somewhat be going back to the days before recorded media, when for instance, struggling baroque musicians had to travel from town to village and perform regularly, and to barely earn a living :erk:

I think all this affects the 'smaller' guys (metal included) more so than commercial artists who can still get by fine. But the alternative of censorship attempts (which I also seem unstoppable) is even much worse, because in practical terms that means third parties wanting to make a big buck on the work of others, censoring whatever they want and patenting all sorts of technologies (say convolution, for example) for their benefit and that of monopolies.

I've just got to wonder if somewhere there's a middle ground between censorship and mass piracy. Patent trolling is of course another form of censorship. Thankfully, nobody can patent convolution - it's a textbook mathematical procedure - it would be like patenting multiplication or addition. :)

The difficult thing to do with IP protection is strike a middle ground that works. The easy thing to do is give way completely to one extreme or the other. This is true on both a personal and a political level. The ping pong match inside my mind is getting epic.

This is really just one of many issues that polarize public opinion by their very nature. Extremism is simple and easy. Anything else is complex, difficult, and highly subjective. Humans naturally crave simplicity, and some issues can only be simplified in such a way that they victimize those with opposing or incompatible viewpoints.

AD Chaos - I totally agree with you about "somewhat be going back to the days before recorded media" - in fact it's already happened, especially to metal bands. I know quite a few guys in "big" metal bands, many of them live with their parents or couch surf when they're off the road (which is hardly ever - you have to tour constantly if you want to make a living at this right now.) Unless you reach the level of Nickelback or Avenged Sevenfold, or you're already independently wealthy, this is pretty much the way things go. Metal bands are essentially like traveling baroque or renaissance peasant folk musicians already.

Anyone who supports SOPA needs to wake up and think about the consequences it would bring. This is bad news in the very same way that the Patriot Act is bad news. It gives the government entirely too much power. It should come as no surprise that giants like Google and Amazon are speaking out against it. Now, with uprisings and protests going on all over the world, and another war on the horizon, do we really want to allow the U.S. government to police & censor the internet? The answer should be obvious. This is not the way to go about stopping piracy.

kazrog is 100% on point. i agree with something like this in theory but form what i understand even proponents of this movement have mixed feelings on this bill specifically. i just recently started researching it and feel mixed about the bill, not the idea behind it.

perhaps if it was modified to include less collateral damage of non pirating things.

again, the jury is still out on this one as i still have yet to read a fully objective write up on this bill or read the bill itself to pass judgement. for the record, i agree with in it in theory just not restricting growth. sites like pirate bay etc. though def need to get shut down asap.

Well, the best way to fight piracy isn't by these silly anti-piracy measures. They simply aren't working. It's even more of a problem in gaming. Anything they do to fight piracy, they simply work around it. They have to find a way to make piracy less desirable. How they'll do this, I don't know, but laws like SOPA and Protect IP are not the right way to do it, because they won't stop piracy, and will only harm the non-pirate.