USB audio interface question

Progbass

Oct 18, 2002
Finland
Visit site
I have Focusrite USB audio interface and I been wondering is there any way I can record mp3 or wave. In old sound cards(such as integrated or PCI) you could just choose "what I hear" or "wave" in goldwave or your DAW. But seems there is no way in USB interface.

Yes, standard integrated sound cards usually have a "wave" or "stereo mix" input line (that exists on a software level not a hardware level) that just captures what is being played by the sound card at the same resolution/bit rate. I recall using it to record music from youtube and online radios and whatnot.

What exactly are you trying to record? Because there might be an easier way. For example if you're trying to record an online audio stream that you can't download, you may just get a browser plugin that allows you to pull and download any media files from the cache. DownloadHelper is a good example.

Otherwise, you can always do any recording on a hardware level by just connect your audio interface's Line Out's to its Line In's using a stereo RCA cable or stereo jack cable etc. depending on what kind of connections you have available.

Otherwise, you can always do any recording on a hardware level by just connect your audio interface's Line Out's to its Line In's using a stereo RCA cable or stereo jack cable etc. depending on what kind of connections you have available.

Yea thats what I was thinking too, but weren't really sure if it's safe to do :lol:

you can even correct for the hardware's curve with something like REW5.

But seriously, your DAW won't let you choose your output format? I literally just recorded 7.1 channel test tracks at 96kHz for a coworker to use tomorrow. Formatted in flac, wav, etc. Step one here, step two of this test is to destroy my machine with 32 channels of audio on the master output buss at that rate.

What DAW are you using, if any?

Ah... maybe I'm reading the question wrong. Live recording? Again, what DAW? It's totally possible.

ah, you have MSN. and you have Reaper, and probably LICECAP. This is totally solvable. Have you tried their forum?

Drum program you say, so midi in, audio out?

If you want to record the output of your drums in reaper you need to render it. There is a few options there to specify whether you want to render the track - a bunch of tracks or the whole arrangement - maybe a look into the free manual would help ;) (there´s a link on the reaper.fm page)