Using a computer live for drum triggers (software recomendation?)

wishtheend

clip the apex
Dec 29, 2005
SL, UT
So of course I want to my own samples, as what is on the DM5 is just dreadful. But I don't have the cash to find the Ddrum4 used and want to find a solution with what I have in my possession.

Here's what I got:
-Alesis DM5
-Ddrum Triggers
-Presonus Firepod

So I'm thinking the DM5 is going to be used as just a trigger to MIDI converter. MIDI out will then hit the MIDI in on the Firepod (or I may use a less fragile MIDI interface) and I will use some sort of sampler on the computer for sample playback. Then audio interface out to the PA.

My question is, what software should I be going for? I want to be able to have a few different velocities for each hit (soft, med, hard - maybe a few of each for some realism) so I need something that can map a velocity curve. Does anyone know of any rock solid stand alone apps that would work for this? I don't want to have anything loaded in a DAW as I want as much memory freed for this use.

As anyone even done anything like this? If so, any experience good or bad? Main concern is latency and something that doesn't draw a lot on the computer resources.

Any input would rule.:kickass:

Latency from just a trigger? You might be mistaken on that. I have absolutely no issues going direct into the DM5, I just don't like those samples. A the latency from the MIDI out would be microscopic if that - the only part I fear on latency would be the software/playback back to the PA.

Whoever can come up with a low end solution to this dilemma is going to be a rich man. It's so simple yet no one has developed an inexpensive hardware sampler with this simple functionality. Wouldn't every band want one? If nothing else, just to trigger song intros and middles.

Latency from just a trigger? You might be mistaken on that. I have absolutely no issues going direct into the DM5, I just don't like those samples. A the latency from the MIDI out would be microscopic if that - the only part I fear on latency would be the software/playback back to the PA.

seriously, i do live sound for quite some bands who use triggers and with triggers alone you won't be bothered by the latency you get from just a drum module but if you want to blend in some mic signal you definately wil have latency resulting in phasing.

Be a bit more specific, both of you. The triggers alone are MICROPHONES, so there´s no additional latency caused by them alone. BUT every drum sampling module has some kind of latency, and in live situations the mic/sample -phase problem can be solved by delaying the channel of Bass drum mic so that it matches with the sampled one.

Back to the original question. I wouldn´t use the midi. Just simply connect the trigger to the firepod, set up a track in your daw for the triggered drum, put aptrigga on that track and load the desired samples there. And ofcourse set the latency as low as possible.

I monitored (and recorded ofcourse) two kick drums this way in my band´s last session and it worked fine. I used 4ms latency and the drummer was just fine with it. i also tried 2ms, but the difference wasn´t audible, and i had some popplin´ and cracklin´ with 2ms, but hey that´s just my computer. I bet you can easilly do this with a more up-to-date-computer.

Here's my reasoning for wanting to do MIDI. I play on triggering an entire kit (this will be 9 pieces triggered). If I go the route of the triggers plugged directly into the firepod, I have to be running a DAW which is receiving 9 channels of mono input, monitoring them in real time while applying something like Drumagog or Aptrigga - or KTtrigger which would just be MIDI out anyways. This just seems like quite a lot to be pushing on more than likely a laptop for a live situation.

We currently use an Alesis DM5 and with a mic even - I have not noticed any extreme latency. I want to use the MIDI out as the DM5 does a fine job on triggering, I just hate the sounds. I don't have any hardware sampler which would be perfect - so I'm looking at using my computer. MIDI is very low data - so I know sending 9 channels of information will no problem. I'm just looking for a solid STAND-ALONE app to basically use as the sampler to play back the MIDI data. I have used software synths on a laptop before using a USB midi controller in a live setting and there was no latency issues. I can't see why the DM5 as the MIDI controller vs a USB midi controller would be worse.

I am pretty sure my logic is correct on what I want to do, I just don't know of many programs like what I'm looking for. Thought maybe someone here might know. If I'm not able to assign multiple samples on a velocity curve for each MIDI note (think how you can have multiple samples in Drumagog for whatever track you are replacing), then I guess I just have to go with the single sample. Maybe someone who does a bit more electronic music or more experience with software samplers?

Now as to the cheap man solution - a few years back Alesis had the DM PRO, which is pretty much right before, or right at the same time the DM5 came out. Except you could load your own samples via media card. Of course Alesis discontinued it and now even the DDrum4 has been discontinued. If someone where to just make a rackmountable sampler with 10-12 trigger inputs - metal drummers would buy them up. Those who want realistic sounding drum modules go for the VDrums by Roland anyways. But no one really supplies a single unit trigger/sample module. I wish I was in manufacturing ....

No, the DM5 does not allow you to add your own samples. The previous DM-PRO did, not sure why the scrapped that in favor of the DM5.