Using a Kemper with a Saffire Pro 40 via s/pdif

spencerlogan

Feb 20, 2011
Hello sneapsters,

I'm running into some serious trouble connecting the pro 40 to the kemper and vice versa. When I open Saffire Mix Control and switch the sync source to s/pdif, the two can't sync together. I also activated the s/pdif input on the kemper. The cables are set correctly but for some reason the two won't sync together. The sample rate is set to 44.1khz in Mix control and in my daw by default. I thought I could change the clock source in the kemper but that option was not available. Bottom line, I can't get the s/pdif to work between the kemper and the saffire pro 40. Please help if you can. . .

Thanks.

Can't you use the kemper as a slave and the saffire as a master clock? Seems more logical.

Saffire needs to be set as Slave via MIXControl,

1. Close Your DAW
2. Disconnect Your Kemper
3. Turn on your Saffire
4. Open Mix Control, set it and set your Sync to the correct option. (Not sure what it is for the Kemper, maybe SPDIF .. not sure cause I dont have Mix Control in front of me at the moment)
5. Reconnect Kemper
6. Record :)

Focusrite_SMC2.4-600w.jpg

Thanks guys, I think I tried what guitarguru777 suggested and the result was that the saffire was unable to "lock" properly. However I will give this another shot when I'm back with my gear.

Update, after trying guitarguru777's suggestion, the connection is still not working. Does any one else have any other ideas? Again thanks to guitarguru777 and ~BURNY~ for the quick replies.

The kemper has to be the master I believe. Also make sure your SPDIF cables are okay. Plenty will argue that you can use any old cable but I found out the hard way (not with the kemper) that that's not true.

The kemper has to be the master I believe. Also make sure your SPDIF cables are okay. Plenty will argue that you can use any old cable but I found out the hard way (not with the kemper) that that's not true.

The cables are brand new spdif cables. I've tried making the kemper the master but there isn't any option to do so within the kemper. I went to the input section and activated the spdif input, and there was still no luck.

I don't have a Saffire. Based of this what you're doing sounds right.

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/article.php?id=1105

Maybe try setting the clock source to external. Are you getting any sound out of it? I don't know with the kemper as I've had no trouble using spdif on mine but in the past when I've had clocking issues with spdif devices a lot of the time you can still get sound but you get loads of clicks and pops.

I don't have a Saffire. Based of this what you're doing sounds right.

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/article.php?id=1105

Maybe try setting the clock source to external. Are you getting any sound out of it? I don't know with the kemper as I've had no trouble using spdif on mine but in the past when I've had clocking issues with spdif devices a lot of the time you can still get sound but you get loads of clicks and pops.

there's actually no option to set the clock source to external in mix control. I am getting sound out of it by using xlr and instrument cables, but somehow the saffire and the kemper are just not agreeing on something. Maybe I need to update mix control.

EDIT: Just updated Saffire Mix Control to the latest version, still no luck. .

Hi Spencerlogan,

Thanks for your thread.

What is your operating system?

Which version of Saffire Mix Control are you running on?

Have you made sure that both units run at the same samplerate?

Please let me know, if I can be of any further assistance.

With best regards,

Marcel // Focusrite Novation Support

I've got my Kemper connected to my Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 via SPDIF with no issues.

I set the clock source to SPDIF, then routed the SPDIF to DAW 9 (or choose any DAW output that's not being used currently). Then in your DAW, route the output of your DI channel to the same DAW output as you've selected for the SPDIF. Should work fine then.