Using chorus for wider stereo image

MrLee

Jul 31, 2006
Oslo, Norway
Hi! I remember I read something about using chorus to make a wider stereo image, but cant find the thread! Do somebody remember the thread title or the how to do it?

Thanks in advance!

Any time-based effect can give you a wide stereo image, including chorus. If you want something to sound wide, without the obvious chorus effect, try using a standard pitch-shift. Pan the outs hard left and right and change your cents values to +9 on one side and -9 on the other.

This will make glorious benefit.

Ah! Thanks! If a record only two guitars, one hard L and one hard R, shall I pitch shift those two? Or just duplicate one guitar, pitch shift and pan?

Any time-based effect can give you a wide stereo image, including chorus. If you want something to sound wide, without the obvious chorus effect, try using a standard pitch-shift. Pan the outs hard left and right and change your cents values to +9 on one side and -9 on the other.

This will make glorious benefit.

Is the idea then to have the pitch-shifted audio turned down a bit, so as to not to fight against the "right" pitches? Or with only a +/-9 value, is the pitch difference not noticeable enough to make things actually sound bad?

Is the idea then to have the pitch-shifted audio turned down a bit, so as to not to fight against the "right" pitches? Or with only a +/-9 value, is the pitch difference not noticeable enough to make things actually sound bad?

The + on one side and - on the other will cancel each other out and the result is no pitch change to the original source. It's the same as the "MICROPITCHSHIFT" preset on a H3000 (sans the delay).

Hey Mr. Lee - you don't need this for guitars to achieve a wide image. Not saying that you can't use it though. There are no rules.

I have Waves but I've never used the Doubler! REQ4, RenComp, and C4 (of course) are pretty much all I use.

That's interesting. Is this similar to how something like the Waves Doubler works, or is there even more going on with that?

Yep. The Yamaha SPX90 does it too. The Doubler is a handy plugin for this trick, though. You can set multiple independent delays and pitch shift values. Try shifting anywhere from -5/+5 to -10/+10 cents, and also try adding a different value delay to each side. I wish another company would write a plugin that combines a good pitch shifter with delay like this.

Try shifting anywhere from -5/+5 to -10/+10 cents, and also try adding a different value delay to each side.

Yeah. The "9" is a good starting point. Most of the time you'll prolly end up there, too.

Hey X - H3K's are the shit! You can also sample/trigger with them. Another GREAT outboard fx box is the TC Electronics M5K. I'm gonna get one before the year is out.

You'll forget the H3K if you got the M5000. It's all that and then some. Great for use with DAW's also.

PROCESSING