Using delay on your guitar tracks to fatten things up

I mean as far as adding a sense of space, which makes it sound just a tad fatter. I've heard of countless others adding a very short delay to their guitar tracks which makes it seem much bigger.

the dude who remixed After The Burial, wrote here on forum something about this +/- week ago, I am very interested how to use delay on guitars, I tried something but without any good results :/

I remember Petrucci talking about using a delay to fatten up his live-sound. IIRC he used something from 10 to 13 ms and only one repetition so you don't really hear the delay but it just feels 'fatter' if you will.

must be going for the Eric Peterson tone.lol.

anymore I just do 2 Tight tracks panned hard with a touch of verb.

The only things I put delay on are cleans,leads, vocals, and various overdubs

I kinda agree with the majority of posts on this thread.
Delay can work well on certain styles but as soon as the rhythm starts to get a bit choppy then I recon the delay fx would have to be quite low in depth to the point of not really benefiting the overall sound. Reverbs and or subtle modulation fx can smooth things out thicken things up also but then the similar limitations apply with this too .
I'd have to hear exactly what the OP means before totally poo pooing the idea though.

there was a thread a while back about the nickel back engineer using very small delay on the guitars to make them huge.. i forget the dude's name though..

On the topic of Randy Staub, Devy is using him to mix his next album!

Devin uses delay on single string parts in a similar way to Petrucci, so it's barely noticeable but adds to the overall effect.

I think the short delay on the rhythms would just be the same as quad tracking or adding more guitar tracks. whenever something is quad tracked it sounds larger...Unless the your talking about repeating delay?

I think the short delay on the rhythms would just be the same as quad tracking or adding more guitar tracks. whenever something is quad tracked it sounds larger...Unless the your talking about repeating delay?

I don't think it's the same. Quadtracking needs really tight playing but there will be a huge difference to a singletrack with a delay on it. Thats because each track is different, no matter how tight you play.

And I don't think quadtracking makes everything sound larger. if not done right it can make your mix muddy.

randy staub

uses a short delay panned opposite to each guitar track in order to give it a fatter and broader feeling

I think its called the Haas Effect.

If an identical signal is heard under 30 milliseconds after the original, even when panned far apart, it still sounds like its only coming from the side of the original.

randy staub

uses a short delay panned opposite to each guitar track in order to give it a fatter and broader feeling

Sorry but no

PCM42 trick didn't use any delayed note panned opposite side.
Trick is simple in fact:

-You have a dual tracked guitar panned hard left and right
-Put a pcm42 with 2xoversampling on one guitar track (left or right that doesn't matter)
-Done

You just use the pcm42 limiter as a colored tool for widening guitar. Delay is set to O ms btw.

One other famous trick (no Staub releated) was to put a stereo delay on a guitar track, with different delay time (30ms left and 55ms right). So you have a simple LCR panning. Can be used on vox btw (listen Rihanna Umbrella except Manny used a doubler, going to delay for widening)...