using differnent snares in different songs

brianhood

No Care Ever
I know of a few engineers that will use multiple snares on an album(sometimes a different snare on just about every song). Any of you guys do this? I know it's not much use in metal, but the band i'm recording now has some weirder/darker songs that i think a different snare would sound good on.

Ive even heard songs that will switch out snares on chorus or on certain sections.

when you listen Lamb Of God - Wrath, studio stems carefully, you can easy hear different samples on breakdowns, and fast tempos, choruses etc... but maybe I am wrong, and this is only reverb automation stuff

Maybe automating a delay could do the trick?

I mixed an album recently where the drummer plays on the snare "normally", but sometimes he does those army types of rolling snares, and I did use drumagog a lot because the recording was quite medium, but in those army parts it is the natural snare with the whole list of plug-ins that are nifty for snares and I think it sounds nice. What could have sucked is the transitions from 1 snare to the other. Besides that, I would tend to call it creativity.

I like doing this. I use a Dunnett steel snare for faster/more complex songs, and a Ludwig Black Beauty for slower/simpler stuff. The Dunnett has TONS of attack and volume, and the Ludwig is all body and depth.