Using Drum Triggers/samples in a live situation without them sounding like popcorn

Lowberg

Aug 26, 2004
Rochester, NY
Hey guys, me and my drummer are about to start up a new band, we previously were in a gigging metal band for a few years.

My drummer has been playing a double kick drum setup since he was a wee lad, and he is very set on using two bass drums and not a double-pedal. So after a while of having to deal with venues that didn't have two of the same bass drum mics and just having them sound off or different from each other, my drummer decided to start using drum triggers and a Alesis DM5 module.

When we have been playing live, Im pretty sure they just took a DI straight from the DM5.

We've tried alot of different sounds on the DM5 but it always ends up sounding SUPER clicky live and well like "popcorn" :lol:

I was wondering some solutions for getting a fatter sound from it but still having enough attack to cut though well for faster double bass speeds.

Every band I've played shows with that uses the triggers + DM5 approach sounds like popcorn. But very tasty and brutal popcorn! :headbang:

Embrace the popcorn, try throwing an EQ unit after the DM5 and before the DI, or pick up a couple of Audix D6 mics to bring them to shows. I started bringing my own mics/stands to shows (with labels on all of them, of course) because of the unpredictability of the mic situation at venues.

a good solution could be ( at least in my experience) combine the DM5 sound with a mic to get the low end from the kick drum, i do this and works fine, the problem is that you use two kick, so you need the same mic, so better do what Kazrog said.

Do you think turning the velocity curve down a bit on the DM5 will help it sound less mechanical, I think he has the velocity curve set pretty damn high like 8 or 9 out of 10, making it so even the real quick light stuff sounds full blast (I know thats the point to some extent that a lot of metal drummers use triggers but maybe its just too much you know?)

An EQ might help, but my drummer is not very tech savvy at all when it comes to electronic equipment hes just good at hitting stuff haha ( ex. i had to help him set up his drum module because he couldn't figure out how to get sound out of it)

You can hear the popcorn before and at the beginning of this song before the camera gets closer to the stage and is just recording stage noise haha

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, if its like my D4 turning the velocity curve down will probably make it less apparent, however i would really try out some of the other sounds on it, I really dont think what you have sounds bad for what your doing considering the camera is not picking up any bass with clarity,

I'd say it's the preset used that makes it sound that way. The Speed metal or thrash metting preset (whatever it's called) has a lot of click to it, and if the house PA doesn't handle the low end too well, all you hear is the click, IMO. I'd try to the EQ after the module idea, or try a preset with less click. While it may not sound as defined, it may fit a little better in the live show sound.

I highly suggest getting two of your own mics, I favor Audix d6, Shure beta91 or Sennheiser e901, but do note they all cost kinda lot. You put both b91 and e901 inside the drum and they sound kinda triggerish because huge amount of attack, but they they sound a bit more natural. Another way is that if you can upload your own samples to your trigger module (eg Roland SPD-S), take the sound that Andy posted. It sounds fucking killer.

http://andysneap.com/media/drum samples/kick.wav (you need to cut it a little)

I've heard really good results using the Reggae kick drum preset on the DM5, I know Pierre Langlois who played for the Black Dahlia Murder used that... The other option is to get one of the older Alesis D4s, those kick drum sounds are sick!