Using Drumagog in cubase

TTOS

Feb 12, 2007
Southampton, UK
myspace.com
At the moment I use SX3,When I record a mic'd drum take I also record a full midi track of triggered bass drums and snare from my Roland TD-12. I then edit it in Cubase to 'tidy' :lol: it up. Then I'll get the sounds I want out of the TD-12 send the midi track to the TD12 and record the audio from the main outs of the TD12 as a new track in cubase. This has always been ok. I've been playing with a demo version of drumagog pro and have been using it with the real mic'd tracks of snare and kick and it sounds pretty good, definitely more realistic than the td12 sounds. What I really want to do is actually send the recorded drum trigger midi track straight to drumagog in cubase. Acording to the manual it can be done by setting the output of the midi track to drumagog. I've tried it and set the midi channel etc as stated in the manual, Only thing is I can't seem to get it to work at all. I don't really need to record audio from drumagog as I use the spdif on my firepod as the mix out directly to an Audio CDR so all I need to do is to get drumagog to trigger from my midi track during playback. I'm pretty much a cubae novice so any help or if anyone else has had any luck with this kind of thing I'd be eternally grateful! If I can get it to work I'll be buying the full version of Drumagog.
cheers

At the moment I use SX3,When I record a mic'd drum take I also record a full midi track of triggered bass drums and snare from my Roland TD-12. I then edit it in Cubase to 'tidy' :lol: it up. Then I'll get the sounds I want out of the TD-12 send the midi track to the TD12 and record the audio from the main outs of the TD12 as a new track in cubase. This has always been ok. I've been playing with a demo version of drumagog pro and have been using it with the real mic'd tracks of snare and kick and it sounds pretty good, definitely more realistic than the td12 sounds. What I really want to do is actually send the recorded drum trigger midi track straight to drumagog in cubase. Acording to the manual it can be done by setting the output of the midi track to drumagog. I've tried it and set the midi channel etc as stated in the manual, Only thing is I can't seem to get it to work at all. I don't really need to record audio from drumagog as I use the spdif on my firepod as the mix out directly to an Audio CDR so all I need to do is to get drumagog to trigger from my midi track during playback. I'm pretty much a cubae novice so any help or if anyone else has had any luck with this kind of thing I'd be eternally grateful! If I can get it to work I'll be buying the full version of Drumagog.
cheers

You sure you don't have the cheap version of Drumagog? It doesn't do midi.

Man, my demo of drumagog won't let me even load a sample, other than the 4 shitty ones offered. It reads "must purchase drumagog to do that":lol: So I guess I'm shelling out the $250 for it. Man, I hope it's worth it.:erk:

You need to set the midi output of drumagog to "internal".

Then, create your midi track. Look on the midi input selection menu. You should see an option for drumagog. Set the channel to the one specified in drumagog.

Then just record-enable the midi track, and hit record.

One thing I did notice however: For some reason playback of the recorded midi through drumagog doesn't work if you have a drum map selected. The drum map option menu needs to be left as "no map". I don't know why.

You need to set the midi output of drumagog to "internal".

Then, create your midi track. Look on the midi input selection menu. You should see an option for drumagog. Set the channel to the one specified in drumagog.

Then just record-enable the midi track, and hit record.

One thing I did notice however: For some reason playback of the recorded midi through drumagog doesn't work if you have a drum map selected. The drum map option menu needs to be left as "no map". I don't know why.

anyone ever figure this out? its annoying the shit out of me right now

hmm if anyone is curious i found a workaround

just set the drum map on then go into midi sends, and send it to the destination drumagog plugin, instead of setting the midi output to the plugin

it works!

I route my midi signal from my brain to EZ drummer
and then from there i open drumagog and change my samples on the track i need

Hi guys,

I guess you all export to wav before mixing? Or is there a better way if you may want to edit a single stroke afterwards? I exported my last recording to wave before mixing but it would be great to be able make some adjustments afterwards etc more velocity on some strokes.

/Claes_rocky

I usually record the actual MIDI track from my Roland drum module. Just connect the Midi out of the module, to the midi in of the interface and the record a midi track on Cubase. On the Roland you have to set the thing to send the midi messages out the midi port, it's somewhere in the manual.

After that I just set a Virtual Drum kit to the Midi track (Addictive Drums in my case) and that's it. To get my drums tracks sounding the way I want to, I always mix both the audio generated by AD and the miked set (3 mikes usually, 2 overheards and 1 for the snare.. better to keep the number of mikes low, so that phasing issues are easier to control). This way the track sounds real and I get the definition from the AD sounds.