using drumagog live

Jackal_Strain

Sigurd Løberg
Feb 16, 2006
Trondheim, Norway
We're soon going to play live with the band that I'm in and we're planning to use drumagog to trigger the kicks live.
Unless I'm wrong, this is the correct way to set up a single kickdrum setup live right?

Kickdrum--> trigger--> Preamp---> laptop(daw)--> drumagog--> P.A.

The problem is that our drummer use two kicks and and I've only got a one input preamp right now. Is there a way to merge the two triggersignals into one?
I also have a Behringer Eurodeck mixer that I bought years ago that's collecting dust. Would it be suficient for this purpose?

Hmz....according to drumagog this shouldn't be a problem...
But I wouldn't take that risk...I'd go to a Drummodule with triggers instead....and if you want a specific kick sound...maybe use a sampler or anything between it...

The thing is that we don't want to use a module. We're tired of hearing every other band using the same sounds. With drumagog we can use whatever sound we want.

I think you could use the eurodesks preamps and mix both trigger signals together with the eurodesk and connect it to your audio interface... maybe without mixing if the iface got a stereo line in..

Richard Tull said:
The first time it crashes in front of an audience, you'll wish you had that drum module with the sounds everyone else uses. Simpler is sometimes better.

agreed, you better make sure you have a real good back up plan if your pc crashes or even if you have miss triggers cause drummers out in the crowd are watching

scorpio01169 said:
agreed, you better make sure you have a real good back up plan if your pc crashes or even if you have miss triggers cause drummers out in the crowd are watching
macbookpro0420060109.jpg

Its called a mac

I wouldn't trust a computer live...I would stick with the module triggering some sampler as a safer solution, PC crashes ( or mac ones) live are sooooooo embarrasing.

Yep. I did some solo gigs a few years back in my sad-bastard-murder-ballad days and played with backing tracks. I took my laptop along and 3 gigs in a row it BSOD in the middle of a track. Luckily I had my trusty tiny minidisc along for the ride as a backup with all the tracks. Aside from the slightly embarrassing switching of minidiscs in between songs, it was cool and reliable and I eventually worked out a way to conceal the player in my pedalboard so it just looked like I was changing settings. It was also a lot less embarrassing waiting for the laptop to reboot....I soon ditched the original idea and went with something I could throw down a flight of stairs without missing a beat.

Using Drumagog in a live situation is begging for hassles.

Thanks for the opinions guys. Btw, we use a mac.

Well, I'll check out the DmPro, but I've heard that it uses its own format for the samples. How hard is it to convert my own files so they can be used with the DmPro?

Ice Man said:
It's called the beach ball of death. :p

hahaha
ok
ok
i have from time to time had to endure the beach ball of death!
but i can count on one hand the ammount of times i have worked on a mac that has crashed.

id rather have the beach ball than the blue screen anyday

Ok, The sneapster himself has spoken, so I guess I should abandon my hopeless quest;)

Thanks for the input guys!

Edit.
So i send the trigger signal to the d4, and use the midi out to the akai? Is that what you're suggesting? I'm a complete noob when it comes to drum modules and hardware samplers.

Wait, Sneapster forgets this: the Alesis DM-Pro can import samplebanks (complete with multisampled velocityzones and stuff) in the Digi Samplecell-II format to an 8Mb flashcard via some little Apple program. (If you hook an old Akai to a D4 you get some extra latency...) Also make sure your triggersignal is clean, filter out skinresonances before sending it to the triggerinput of your DM.

Hey guys, I know this thing here is pretty ancient but I just have some questions about the akai sample stuff! I had the same idea, connecting everything to sample my snaredrum on the fly via drumagog, but I think the Akai version is much better and more stable.
Could you please explain how this whole connection exactly works? I mean, I know how to combine those things via midi, but how do you load multisamples to the akai? is it possible to load multisamples? I can't find a better way to do this live triggering stuff..
and sorry again for reanimating this, BUT I used the search function :p

thanks!!
C