Using Ozone 5 for Mixing

Soundlurker

Nov 19, 2005
I got Ozone 5 yesterday and tried it on a mix. I love it so far. I had already started the mix so not everything is O5 but most EQ as well as mastering is.

Clip1

I don't think I used the exciter on this one but I did try it out on other stuff and really liked the tape saturation. The gain reduction visualisation is awesome and I also really like the Intelligent 3 maximizer, even if it's a bit heavier on the CPU. The EQ is really soft and gentle sounding based on my initial tests. Basically I can't wait to actually build a Ozone5-only mix just to test things out.

What exactly would you say are the differences between Ozone 4 and 5? As for your mix, bass sounds pretty good, guitars have a bit too much high end I think, and the vocals are almost there but they need to be brightened up a little. Everything is audible though which is good. Also, try a different tom sound.

There's some serious clipping on that master. The guitars have a good tone, if not a little bit muddy. The bass tone is fucking fantastic. Drums as well.

Thanks guys. The differences between Ozone 4 and Ozone 5 are mainly in the interface and the way the components work/sound. The main idea behind the two generally remains the same.

For this one the band apparently used a Fender Jazz Bass. I ran it through Torpedo and then added some heavy EQ and compression. The drums are a blend of a whole bunch of samples, glad you're liking them as a whole. I'll probably buy the Metal Machine EZX - those are some really epic toms (and everything else) from what I heard so far.

It's a sound from Cubase 6's Halion synth. I can't remember what patch it was from, nor the note that triggers it. Will have to check. It might be in C5 as well, but I'm not sure.