Using public transportation to get to the venue

If you look online you can often find deals on limos for around the same price as a taxi would cost you and it's much nicer to ride in and they help you deal with the luggage. It'll probably put you out between $45-60 but it's money well spent IMO.

A quick random check of limo rates (http://www.w-limo.com/airport/C.PDF) shows $95 from O'hare to Mokena.

But in principle, I agree with you. If you have the cash for a transcontinental flight, you might also be willing to pay the extra cash for the convenience and comfort of a taxi/limo. Also multiple people traveling together tips the balance towards taxi/limo vs. public transportation.

To be clear, the public transportation option is really only for people who place a higher priority on money than they do on their time or comfort. I just wanted people who might be shocked by the price of a taxi to know that there were other options.

I have plenty of money myself, but when I flew to Heathen Crusade in Minneapolis last year, I still took the bus between the airport and my hotel. The way my flights were timed, I wasn't in any hurry, and if I took a taxi, I would have just spent that extra time sitting in my hotel room. So I just did the same amount of sitting on a bus, for a lot less money.

Also, as I mentioned before, taking public transportation could give more opportunity to see the city of Chicago. It would sure be sad if people came all the way to Chicago from the UK for the first time and all they saw was the dreary suburbs between O'hare airport and Mokena!

Neil

A quick random check of limo rates (http://www.w-limo.com/airport/C.PDF) shows $95 from O'hare to Mokena.

But in principle, I agree with you. If you have the cash for a transcontinental flight, you might also be willing to pay the extra cash for the convenience and comfort of a taxi/limo. Also multiple people traveling together tips the balance towards taxi/limo vs. public transportation.

To be clear, the public transportation option is really only for people who place a higher priority on money than they do on their time or comfort. I just wanted people who might be shocked by the price of a taxi to know that there were other options.

I have plenty of money myself, but when I flew to Heathen Crusade in Minneapolis last year, I still took the bus between the airport and my hotel. The way my flights were timed, I wasn't in any hurry, and if I took a taxi, I would have just spent that extra time sitting in my hotel room. So I just did the same amount of sitting on a bus, for a lot less money.

Also, as I mentioned before, taking public transportation could give more opportunity to see the city of Chicago. It would sure be sad if people came all the way to Chicago from the UK for the first time and all they saw was the dreary suburbs between O'hare airport and Mokena!

Neil

I'll dig up some links for people, but you can do way better than that. I don't travel much anymore but I know I still have the sites I used bookmarked.

Well maybe somebody will be nice enough to actually show them around the city on Saturday before the show :kickass:

Thanks for all you're help :) wel definetly do that!
If we have any troubles il come and talk to you about your friend Rich!
Thanks so much x :kickass:

To get to The Pearl Room from the train stop walk right across the parking lot (I mean walk toward the right end of the parking lot). When you get to the end, walk down the sidewalk about 20-30 feet. There will be a street going left (T intersection). Turn left and walk up that sidewalk up the hill. You will be walking behind a building and two strip malls. When you get to the top of the hill there is another street going right (another T intersection). Turn right. If you follow the wall of the building to your left, you will end up at The Pearl Room. If rather than following the building, you turn left after you pass the building, walk across the parking lot, then cross the street, the hotel is right there. It's about 2 city blocks from the train station to the venue, and maybe 4 to the hotel from the train station. If you have Google Earth, look it up. you will see how ridiculously close it is.

3 questions for anyone familiar with the Pearl Room area:

1) Any good restaurants?
2) Cab or taxi service available?
3) Any other cool bars nearby? If so, are they walking distance or are they taxi-able?

Thank you!!

3 questions for anyone familiar with the Pearl Room area:

1) Any good restaurants?
3) Any other cool bars nearby? If so, are they walking distance or are they taxi-able?

Thank you!!

1) Any good restaurants?
There's a Denny's and a White Castle across the parking lot.

Depends from/to where.

The Colisseum is next door.

1) I think there are a few, but I didn't really look around... stuck with the White Castle and Denny's that is sandwiched between the hotel and the venue... and right

2) I tried to find a cab service in Mokena, but 411 told me there WASN'T.

3) No idea.

From the Super 8 in Mokena website:

Beggars Pizza (next to motel)
Denny's 24 Hr (across from motel)
White Castle (across from motel)
Dairy Queen (1 block)
Subway (1 block)
Wendy's (1 block)
Mindy's (2 blocks)
Rising Sun Chinese (2 blocks)
Sedona Grill Sport Bar (1 mile)
Enrico's Italian Restaurant (1.5 miles)

That's more than enough food to get you through the entire fest!!

From the Super 8 in Mokena website:

Beggars Pizza (next to motel)
Denny's 24 Hr (across from motel)
White Castle (across from motel)
Dairy Queen (1 block)
Subway (1 block)
Wendy's (1 block)
Mindy's (2 blocks)
Rising Sun Chinese (2 blocks)
Sedona Grill Sport Bar (1 mile)
Enrico's Italian Restaurant (1.5 miles)

That's more than enough food to get you through the entire fest!!

LOL! Damn straight!!

We are coming down from Wisconsin and will be staying in a nearby hotel. Not sure which one yet, but I am open for suggestions. I was thinking that we would need a cab from the hotel to the show but maybe we won't need a cab.?

Thank you Saladbar and Will!!

Got my tics and got a lovely family suite (they were all out of rooms with 2 beds) at the "5-star" Super 8! Thanks for the help everyone and see you fuckers in May!!

what's a possible time start for the thursday...im looking at some uber cheap flights right now and its arriving @ midway 3:29PM and I figure i'd get to MOkena by like 5pm and get my hotel shit situated...and maybe kill an hour before Paganfest?