Using Two Mics on a kick drum

JamesNorman

Oct 8, 2009
Im soon to start my drum recording for my university project!

i want to mic from the inside and outside. would i have to take pahse into consideration, i know i will but how?

I see it as a common place thing to mic inside and and on the outside in many top end studios, would i have to drag the outside kick inline with the inside mic?

Any help would be cool?

First off: try to make the inside mic sound as good as possible (in terms of the position). There's lots of differences and possibilieties from 2'' away from the beater to barely into the drum (most of the time I end up about 3-4'' inside the hole).
Get the signal back into the recording room an listen to it on a closed headphone while positioning the second mic.
If you like what you get, put a large diaphragm or a DI'd speaker (eg. a Subkick) close to the reso and listen to that signal on the headphone as well. Pull back the mic (or sub) till you like what you hear.
You might actually invert the phase of one signal and try to get as few bass-frequencies as possible. By fliping the signal again, your "boom" should become close to perfect.

Beyond that:
You might try the 3:1 rule. In this case the second mic should be at least three times further away from the first mic, than the first mic is from the source. But keep in mind: a kick is a closed system (therefore the whole drum is the source).
You might want to build some kind of tunnel around the kick and the second mic to prevent bleeding. (Use chairs or cases and a heavy blanket.)

AND: Make sure to take a look at Oz's great drum-recording tutorial as well!
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/production-tips/217656-acoustic-drums-metal-guide.html

Hope that helps

People often make an unnecessarily big deal out of the whole phase deal. Mic the drum, flip the phase on one of the mics and listen. If it sounds better with the phase flipped, leave it like that. If you lose the low-end when you flip it, then just don't. If it sounds like crap both ways, change the mics and/or positioning until you get a good sound :)