Using UAD plugs? Which ones for what?

Ihsahn1981

Jan 8, 2008
Im curious as to how many of you guys here are using UAD plugs.
Althought I dont have all of them I absolutely love the ones I have and I plan on getting more as I can afford it.

What are you using yours for?

Here is how Im currently using mine.
I have never tried any of the hardware they emulate so I cant say anything about how acurate the modeling is. I just concentrate on what the plugs actually do.

LA-2A: Love this one for its simplicity and character. Using it on almost all vocal tracks. Usually on a vocal track I use it in conjunction with a LA-3A in limit mode. Sometimes used on acoustic guitar too.

LA-3A: Great on clean guitars and as described above. As one the LA-2A, loving the simplicity of it and its cleaner nature.

1176LN: My swiss army compressor. Works on just about anything but really excells on drums or anything percussive. My go-to compressor for bassguitar.
Magic when slammed!

Fairchild 670: Dont know about this one. I just dont seem to get the hang of it. Used it on the masterbus of an orchestral piece once and it worked great! I hear its good for acoustic guitar, but I havent had any luck.

Plate 140: Wow wow wow on some vocalists. Also cool on snare and toms. Love it for its capability of really epic reverb.

Pultec Pro: Great on acoustic guitar and vocals. Very natural sounding to me when boosting. Being able to boost and cut at the same time is funny too :)

Helios 69 EQ: Great for things that need low-end and the hi-shelf is sometimes what the doctor ordered on things that need a little "sparkle".
Kinda limited though and I sometimes wonder if I should have gotten the Neve 1073 or something instead.

Nigel: Nice for lush solo guitar. Never used it much really.

RealVerb Pro: Okay I guess? With convolution reverb and the Plate 140 I seldom reach for it.

CS-1: Probably the one I use the least. I cant actually remember the last time I used it. Big mistake?

Anyway, thats my two cents.

Im thinking about what to buy next. Im looking at the Neve bundle with all four Neve plugs and the VCA VU compressor which has punch like no other I hear. My priority right now is eq's though.

I really want to get a bundle soon, but ive just looked and it seems the card I wanted to get has not far off doubled in price :(:(

Cambridge EQ: Very versatile surgical EQ. Great filters, super-easy UI, sounds good, looks good, is easy on the DSP.
1176LN: La grande dame of all compressors. If you push it, there's nothing like it.
LA-2A: Supersmooth and easy on vocals. You'll dial in a good sound in 3 seconds, guaranteed!
Pultec/PultecPro: Love it on everything, just add a bit of the shiny high end... I have it on the 2bus all the time. Try boosting and cutting the same freq, kewl.
Roland CE-1: I hate modulation fx, all of them! Except one... this one.
Plate 140: Another "nothing like it" plugin. Like the LA-2A and Pultec, it's a dial-in-a-good-sound-in-3-seconds plugin. This beast just cannot sound bad. Glues the original signal and the reverb like no other reverb that I know.

I have more UAD plugins, but these are currently the ones I cannot live without and where I did not find a native replacement yet. I am searching, because ProTools LE and Laptops and UAD's are no big friends yet.

This would be really interesting to hear more about.
I tried doing a search on the forum on "UAD", but... "The search term you specified (UAD) is under the minimum word length (4) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer."
And searching "Universal Audio", "UAD2" or "UAD1" etc doesn't really get the same results.
I have UAD-2 Quad and use a lot of the plugins, but I'm fairly new to them.

How about the Precision series? The Precision Multiband, Precision EQ, Precision Limiter etc?
I've had good results with the Precision Limiter on the master bus...

So, UAD users, please fill in! :)