• URS Classic Console EQ and Compressor Bundle

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • TC Electronic PowerCore PCI card

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • UAD-1 Project PAK

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

Jan 10, 2005
Ok, I need some new plug-ins for my new G5. I have Waves 4.5 Diamond but honestly it's getting a little boring. I would like some more options that have more character and are more musical. I can't decide between a couple of bundles so I think I will put a poll up and hopefully you guys can pick for me. I have only had experience with Waves and Sonalksis plugs, and don't get me wrong I like the Waves I'm just getting bored of them. I mainly only use RComp, C4, L2 and maybe some RBass or MaxxBass (occasionally). I don't ever use the EQs or reverbs or really anything else in the bundle. The RComp is something I cannot live without, but I would like to move to something a little more musical for vocals in particular. And some EQs that add a little something to the sound for guitars would be nice.

From what I've heard the URS stuff is great. The Neve cloned EQs add a little character to anything you put them on, even with the settings completely reset.

Between the two PCI cards, PowerCore and UAD-1, I feel as though I'm getting a better value with the PowerCore. It has more stock plug-ins and they seem like I would use them more than the majority of the ones from the UAD-1 Project. I am hoping to shy completely away from Waves with the exception of RComp and C4, so any bundle I go for must have some good options for EQ, limiting, and compression.

Vote away!

~006

The UAD stuff is incredible, but the card is seriously under powered, so you'll be doing a lot of freezing and bouncing.

Definitely don't want to do that...will check out the MHCS, totally forgot about it! Thanks Jeff.

~006

Just to manage expectations a bit with the UAD stuff....most of the "stock" plugins aren't any better than the Waves and Sonalksis plugs you have. The plugs which must be purchased separately (e.g. the 1073/1081 eq's, 1176LN, LA2A, Fairchild, EMT140, Precision Limiter, etc) are great but obviously you're shelling out more cash again. The cards are underpowered as well, as Derf mentioned. I have 3 cards and don't run out of processing power without the need to freeze or bounce tracks but I rely on the Waves SSL Channel Strip as my primary EQ and use the UAD stuff fairly sparingly.

I tend to prefer the UAD compressors (1176LN [not the SE], LA2A and Fairchild) and Neve EQ's and don't really use anything else. The UAD Neve 1073's character is very nice and superior to my ears to that of the URS Classic N plugs which didn't do much in that regard. I've not tried the CSP yet but apparently the input stages on that one are bloody nice (the algorithms have been updated), by all accounts.

what about the sonnox plugins. you can buy them for powercore or NATIVE.
With your new mac you have so much power that you can use them native about 100 times. I heard that this plugins are the best on the market.

They are looking nasty...for the eq you have the option to make a 500€ update so you get the GM (masenburg) eq. And Masenburg was at sonnox and helped them programing it.
This is one of the best eq (software).

then you have the inflator, nice tool to make everything louder.
the limiter is much more natural then the waves stuff.
Just check the awful techno producing vids, from their page.

I have the waves platinum bundle, but i only use the renesaunce stuff.
I love Rcomp and Rvox, Raxx. this are perfect plugs for vocals, drums and guitar...but when I have enough money I´ll buy the sony.

I had an UAD card. The plugins were great but the power fucked everything up. They should release the plugins native. Then you can use about 40 at the same time and not only 5!!!!

In regards to Gabriel...the Waves C4 and L2 definitely are not part of the Rennaissance series and are generally considered the gold-standard of plug-ins in the industry. But, typically, they are included in most bundles that also have the Ren plugs in them...

I've recently found out that Cubase 4 has a built-in multi-band compressor that is the equivalent of the C4, so that helps in this transition. I have the Sonalksis Essentials bundle and have found myself using the compressor(s) in it more frequently, especially on the master bus and the overhead tracks. Loving the "soft" preset, and adjusting it to taste really adds a bunch to my work. I've used the sonnox stuff and wasn't too impressed, same goes for McDSP, although between the two I would pick sonnox. I think what I will do is look into the URS and Metric Halo Channel Strip plug. Both of them look like a nice all-in-one (hence the name channel strip...) plug-in that everyone likes.

So then my plugs would consist of Waves Diamond 4.5, Sonalksis Essentials, URS or Metric Halo Channel Strip and Digital Fish Phones (I love the compressor on snare sometimes! can't beat free either...). Sounds good to me :)

~006

Try the Massey Plugs if you haven't already. I have been using those all over the place. Especially the CT4 Compressor.

Im pretty happy with these plugs at the moment:

MCDSP Analog Channel
Metric Halo Channel Strip
Reverb One
Massey CT4
Massey TapeHead
Massey L2007
Massey VT3

I've also been wanting Duy Tape and Valve.

If you're mainly looking for eq's I'd definately recommend the URS eq bundle, but I didn't like classic URS compressors that much when I tried them.

URS CSP is great though, but it's not very cpu friendly...

what setting on the CSP would you recommend for heavy guitars? WOuld input stage would be best? I like the ironA30. There are so many freakin parameters on that plug.