What are some of your "go to" plugins?

electricred

Jan 2, 2012
Just curious to see what some Sneapster's "go to" plugins are, and in what application. I'm talking dynamic controls, EQs, colorations, not MIDI instruments. I'm mostly a hobbyist with recording, and use a lot of stock Pro Tools and freebie plugins, in addition to Ozone 5. I'm probably going to plop down some good money on Massey and probably a Waves vintage bundle this summer. I've been using the Massey tapehead on guitar tracks regularly, and want to grab some of the other full-featured plugins. I'm looking out for some more interesting pro-quality options out there.

MDW EQ, Sonnox dynamics, CLA76, DUY DADtape & DADtube, Waves NLS (from today;)) PA Maag EQ... some SPL stuff like transient designer & twintube, McDsp stuff and Massey are 99% of my plugs in the session

Plugin I use all the times:

-Digi eqIII
-Focusrite D2
-waves ssl channel
-waves Rcomp
-Massey L2007
-Kush UBK-1
-Avid Heat
-Cranesong phoenix

I'll complete my list:
- Equality
- 1176 from UAD
- LA2A
- Slate VCC
- UAD Studer
- SPL transient designer
- UAD lexicon Reverb
- UAD 4k BUSS COMP
- MetricHalo Channelstrip
- DECAPITATOR
- Echoboy

Duende Native SSL Channel, ProTools' EQIII, CLA76, Waves MPX are the ones that get used on pretty much every mix i do.

I've done mixes with practically just EQIII, the channel strip (Previously used the Waves version before Duende went Native) and the 76 when i had just started and I've tried to keep my plugin count as low as possible since. For me, I find having too many to be more distracting than helpful.

The one thing i'm looking for lately is a great sounding reverb. I still haven't decided which one to get and been using D-Verb for everything so far. I need to chose something already lol.

since you need something full-featured, a really good plug that gets ignored a lot is the wavearts trackplug...really flexible EQ and versatile comp/limiter.

URS A Mix / S Mix (amazing eq's if you haven't tried)
PSP Vintage Warmer 2
C1 Comp
TS 64 Transient Shaper
API-2500
SSL Comp

The one thing i'm looking for lately is a great sounding reverb. I still haven't decided which one to get and been using D-Verb for everything so far. I need to chose something already lol.

Jup same here. Reverb is about the only thing where I still don't have a go-to option.

What I use all the time:
-VCC. I use it on everything, always. It just works.
-ReaEQ for surgical cuts.
-Stillwell Vibe-EQ, for coloured boosts.
-Klanghelm DC8C, altough very new, is quickly becoming my go-to comp for almost everything. I really really urge you people to check it out. It's on opening-sale for 20 euros currently, which is an absolute steal imo. I'm not related to the creator of this plugin; I just think it deserves more attention.
-Stillwell Rocket for evil compression. Drums come to mind.
-Density MKII for transparent comping.
-BaxterEQ for transparent shelving when mastering.
-TLS Maximizer as masterlimiter.

All in all, a very cheap/free set, but I enjoy working with it very much.

Basically CLA-76 (Blue), Waves API and VCC. Waves Puigchild has seen a lot of use lately too for thing that dont need s much punch