Velvet Cacoon - Genevieve

Oh yea, I read that stuff a few weeks ago and downloaded the album on Decadent's recommendation. I guess it's a little bland for my taste, but I'm gonna give it another try after my most recent Bathory-spree subsides.

All that stuff about ecofacism, recording with fuel-powered pickups and through an aquarium could be either:
a) really cool
b) who the fuck cares?
c) trying too hard

Wow, this interview is 10 times more interesting than the song. Good thing I heard an mp3, otherwise I would have run out and bought this.

The guitar itself is actually made out of steel. It was created for us by a craftsman in Seattle. We needed a guitar made of metal because diesel fuel, flames, and wood are not a great combination, especially in an uncontrolled environment such as a concert. With this guitar, we drilled 33 holes from back to front and inserted small silver tubes through the back. All of these tubes are connected to small wires which carry the fuel to the base of the tubes. 3 large steel braces seal the top of the tubes (which are just under the strings), and on each brace is a homemade pickup which was created by d.Marvin of the Baltimore dark ambient project Vienke. When the flames come up through the tubes and heat the bottom of the coils it charges the pickups and transmits the resulting sound through a band of fiberoptic cords into a large aquarium. We change the size of the aquarium if we want a different sound. A 15 gallon aquarium gives a very active sound with lots of distinction and sharp action. For the recording of "Genevieve" we used a 75 gallon fiberglass box filled with water, a few gallons of seawater, some wine, and a bit of SGL's blood. This wasn't for sound reasons, obviously, but for our own sanity. The 75 gallon box, however, certainly was for sound reasons. This creates a very still and deep ambience to the tones, a thick and murky sound. These sounds are then recorded and distorted until we are satisfied. We didn't want it to sound overwhelming though. We wanted it to bear traces to an electric guitar, but the secret is in the subtleties. In the middle break of "1" we stripped all distortions from the guitar lines, then slowly layer back on various distortions so if you want to hear its natural sound, listen to that.

...you can't make this stuff up.

"I have no interest in neither sex nor love. It doesn't offer me anything, although I am a bit of a misanthrope so it should be known that I am rarely beguiled by other humans. I have no interest in procreation, personally. I do not oppose the life cycle continuing, but I have no interest in taking part of the process. To lust for the flesh of another being is illogical for us. We prefer carving flesh, not kissing it, and we do not need to be validated by another human being. I am content with my existence, and I savor my solitude. Your mileage may vary. This lifestyle is not for everyone. Many gain no satisfaction from this type of isolation."

^^I'm going to use this the next time I get hit on by a fat chick.

She would have wanted us to combine our powers to spread this gospel to the rest of society.

Okay, I read the interview and I admire the shit out of these guys. They're definitely hippies, but their disdain for conventionality is, like you say, commendable. However, it doesn't appear as much in the music as it should. I'll listen to the song again, however, and offer up some better thoughts.

for some odd reason, I am listening to that track for the second time in the last 15 minutes ... there is something mesmerizing in it.

i'm a sucker for repetition ala Burzum, Blut ... stuff like that ... melodies that just drill themselves into your head ... so this satisfies that

It's starting to grow. the layers of sound created by that fucking beast of an instrument are quite impressive after all. And that interview makes it pretty hard NOT to respect them for putting so much effort into creating something that would achieve the sound they wanted instead of sticking with just what everyone else uses.

Edit:
http://www.metalcrypt.com/pages/interviewsframe.php?intid=158
I just read this other interview, it's got a lot of interesting things in it as well. She mentions that they've recorded another album since Genevieve (a folky album), but that it was only made in a few copies for members of the group. She mentions that it is doubtful that VC will have another public release, as they don't want to develop a fanbase or become associated with black metal bands.

Okay...

1) Okay, the distortion is fuzzy/foggy/whatever... Can this really be considered something that sets the band apart from others, though? How many pagan/black metal bands have layered, buzzing guitar tracks with subtle patterns running in between?

2) Okay... the atmosphere/ambience. Once again, how can you say this sort of thing is totally original? Just pull out your collection of repetitious, atmospheric BM and you will find very much the same attempted atmosphere.

3) The riff is, quite frankly, boring. Very little sense of movement. Yeah, it's repetitious, but so is Burzum, Graveland, Xasthur, etc.

4) Vocals are very similar to those found on Beherit records. Doesn't really make an impression on me one way or another.

While the band members themselves seem very ambitious, I find very little in this song that seperates it from a million other run-of-the-mill bands like this. Sure, there are a few hardly noticeable things that are unconventional, but on the whole there is nothing I find strikingly original or praiseworthy in their sound.

lurch70 said:
for some odd reason, I am listening to that track for the second time in the last 15 minutes ... there is something mesmerizing in it.
That is exactly it. Not sure if this makes sense, but everything about it seems quite 'distant'. It almost beckons you to listen closer, and that's what makes me keep playing it again and again. This is exactly what bands like Drudkh, Negura Bunget, and Burzum manage to do.

The interview is a real good read. I also read some reviews for it on the web, in particular the one on Chronicles of Chaos, and they pretty much nailed it in a great write up. Gave it a pretty good score too (9/10): http://www.chroniclesofchaos.com/Articles.aspx?id=2-3614

Black Winter Day said:
While the band members themselves seem very ambitious, I find very little in this song that seperates it from a million other run-of-the-mill bands like this.
I would definitely stop buying Black Metal albums in mass if I were you. Man, it sounds like you're a little oversaturated with it all, 'cos you could pretty much say that about 98.564738% of any genre!!! I'm sure for every BM album I have, you have 50, so I'm not quite at the saturation point yet where it's all beginning to blur...