Venom . . . tastier than a crusty breast pump.

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
What the hell is all this crap about Venom being overrated, terrible musicians with terrible production and shitty songs!!!

I just bought:

Venom - Black Metal
Venom - At War With Satan
Venom - Welcome to Hell

And I must say they aren't near as bad as everybody was saying. In fact they sound perfectly good to me. I'm not saying they are the best band to walk this earth, but if they were playing this stuff in 1980 I can definitely see why they influenced more bands than the Beatles.

I think all the stuff I have has been remastered, because it sounds pretty damn good, as far as the production goes.

Venom were cool for what they were, but I have to admit, even when I was 10 I thought it was all a bit far fetched. Still, can't deny that influence, although I can't help but think that Mercyful Fate deserve another go round with this next generation of fans coming round.

Mercyful Fate > Venom

My god, Mercyful Fate are just fucking stunning. The riffs...wow.

Still, I'm on a NWOBHM kick as of late, so where did you get the Venom remastered versions Nate? ANy place selling decent stuff?

I just bought some Angel Witch you know.

I'd like to hear that Angel Witch.

I got the Venom on ebay. The 3 discs were remasterd on Neat Records in 2002 or something like that.

Mercyful Fate was one of the first metal bands I was really into (after Metallica and the mandatory 80's thrash stuff of my age). I love the hell out of Mercyful Fate.

Venom are fucking legends ... that's it! They are the Motorhead of Death/Black/Speed Metal

Hahahaha yes, my master. :loco:

Just added this line to my shopping list: VENOM AND MERCYFUL FATE FOR FUVK's SAKE!!!!!111

I love this forum

fucking co-incidences
I just got some venom on cd
I was never a big fan of them back in the day (fuck what a phrase) always loved the song manitou
but I actually listened to black metal last night and I have at war with satan on right now (fuck theres a sabbath riff in the first track haha a war pigs bastardisation I think) first time I've heard them in years, actually really getting into it
partly sentimental but venom really were the dirt back then
the band that most people couldn't hack ,
taking the old ghetto blaster into school to play teachers pet....ah the memories
musically it sounds better than I remember

there was a great interview with cronos in classic rock a few months back
(good mag that)

angel witch?
first metal album I bought aged 11 in school for £1.50 off some bloke
that was around 1980 fuck I'm old
the next week I bought black sabbath vol 4 and didn't understand it
so I went on to maiden + motorhead etc
back to sabbath after a few months and it clicked
started drinking cider around that time too haha

Nate The Great said:
I got the Venom on ebay. The 3 discs were remasterd on Neat Records in 2002 or something like that.
Sanctuary Records. Neat Records must've died about 15 years ago or so.

I never really bought into the Venom hype thing. If anything, I think they're cool for being a bunch of talentless, underproduced (that's a good thing) northern monkeys (just the old north v. south thing coming into play again :saint: ) playing their own thing that ended up inspired god knows how many kvkt uber-serious Black Metal bands. Say what you want about the second/third/fourth/fifth generation bands (god knows I like some of them) but you know they probably missed the point very early along in the line.

I remember picking up At War With Satan on vinyl awhile back and really liked it, especially Rip Ride (all those solos!). Then I picked up Black Metal, thought "is this what all the hype wa about? :confused: ) and then Welcome To Hell just to make sure it wasn't me and still feeling a bit let down. These days I have my own favourite songs and can enjoy them while I'm in the mood but I think they suffer the same problem as The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - too much hype for it's own good.

oh boy ... the new cd cover

CMFCD1282.jpg