My Bathory conversation with Nemtheanga..

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
Oh how Erik would have loved to have been a fly on the wall during this conversation.

While chatting with Nemtheanga about music, Mark says, "Why don't you tell him your thoughts on Bathory." With this remark, Alan shoots me a curious glance. Never one to be shy with my opinions, I said, "I think they're terrible." He asks why. I say, "I think everything they do is immature; lyrics, music." He asks me about the lyrics. I say, "The guy can't refrain from using the word "hammer" in every third sentence."

Alan, than seemingly possessed by Erik's demon spirit, begins to explain to me their importance. How he bought "Under The Sign Of The Black Mark" as a kid in 1987, and was so blown away by it. And though it borrowed from Manowar, how it was totally unlike anything he had heard and how it defied classification. He explained the importance of Bathory to the genre, and how despite my protests, that Bathory had a number of very good lyrics.

I explained that unlike him, I hadn't heard Bathory until 2003. And by that time, all the people they influenced had already taken what they did and built upon it. He seemed familiar with this perspective, as he relayed a story about trying to turn friends on to Venom. These were friends who had been listening to a number of bands influenced by Venom, but had never heard Venom. He talked about how they hated it, and didn't really see the connection.

I think at that point, Mark said something like, "Holy crap, check out the blonde playing darts" and the conversation drifted on to other subjects.

So, I'll revisit "Hammerheart" once more, as I seem to do annually. While I'd bet dimes to dollars I'll find it just as unlistenable as I always have, I'll try to approach it with an open mind.

Zod

he said he went on about the importance of bathory later in the conversation, but probably he didn't feel it important to elaborate on exactly what the good alan said, because EVERYONE ALREADY KNOWS THE IMPORTANCE OF BATHORY.

Erik said:
(posts 7-10)
Actually, I was thinking about that exact thread, and would have posted a link to it myself had I known where to find it. I'm more than willing to admit, that if not for Bathory, Primordial would not be what they are today. And for that, I'm more than willing to pay Bathory the respect they deserve. That said, nothing anyone ever says will convince me that Bathory's music is superior to Primordial's. It's all a matter of taste.

Zod

BenMech said:
Alan described a personal essay, not the importance of Bathory. Unless YOU got the story wrong Greg.
Well, in describing that personal essay, he was in fact speaking to the importance of Bathory, since they clearly had an influence on him. However, as Erik pointed out, he did talk about their place in history, I just don't recall his words clearly enough to feel comfortable attributing them to him. I feel that would be unfair. Though I doubt it, Mark might recall parts of the conversation that I left out. However, I believe he was more intoxicated than me (imagine that).

Zod

Zod, I used to dislike Bathory as I first got into metal (not hate it, just... meh you know), then I acknowledged what Quorthon meant to many of my favourite bands, which helped me kind of seize the "magic", even though I'll still listen to any Primordial album more often than "Twilight of the Gods". Anyway you probably know than Alan's favourite band is Manowar :p

Ellestin said:
Zod, I used to dislike Bathory as I first got into metal (not hate it, just... meh you know), then I acknowledged what Quorthon meant to many of my favourite bands, which helped me kind of seize the "magic", even though I'll still listen to any Primordial album more often than "Twilight of the Gods".
Everytime I revisit Bathory, I come away with the same result. I just don't think that Bathory's music has stood the test of time, purely in respect to first hearing them today. There's simply been too many bands, that took that baton, and ran faster and further than did Quorthon.

Ellestin said:
Anyway you probably know than Alan's favourite band is Manowar :p
Yep. That's cool... I grew up on these guys. Saw them on tour in support of "Hail to England", "Fighting the World" and "Kings of Metal".

Zod

Zod - a couple of things:

1 - it seems you couldn't appreciate Bathory due to the lyrics and simplicity of the music....but you were ok with the vocals? I'm just surprised you didn't list vocals are the #1 reason for why you couldn't listen to the music.

2 - Nemtheanga's vocal talent (FAR superior to Quorthon's and 99% of other singers) is delivered in that "stream of conciousness" style. Perhaps the next listen to Hammerheart, it might be more acceptable to you, especially with your fondness towards Primordial.

I'm not comparing the two bands on a pure musical level, but I am pointing out that the #1 factor that wins me over for both Bathory and Primordial is EMOTION.

JayKeeley said:
1 - it seems you couldn't appreciate Bathory due to the lyrics and simplicity of the music....but you were ok with the vocals? I'm just surprised you didn't list vocals are the #1 reason for why you couldn't listen to the music.
The vocals aren't my cup of tea either. But vocals are a bit more subjective. To me, the simplistic nature of the lyrics and music is the most flaw.

JayKeeley said:
2 - Nemtheanga's vocal talent (FAR superior to Quorthon's and 99% of other singers) is delivered in that "stream of conciousness" style. Perhaps the next listen to Hammerheart, it might be more acceptable to you, especially with your fondness towards Primordial.
That's the disc I always revisit, since it seems to be most RCers favorite.

JayKeeley said:
I'm not comparing the two bands on a pure musical level, but I am pointing out that the #1 factor that wins me over for both Bathory and Primordial is EMOTION.
I can definitely hear that. And I can even appreciate it. But to date, it hasn't been enough to draw me in.

Did you go out with Mark & Alan last night?

Zod

I used to think the same way Zod. I thought, "Meh, mediocre and I enjoy the bands who've built on their ideas much more" and wrote them off. Then last year during that March Madess or whatever the fuck we called that crap we did on this forum, I decided to give them more of a chance. When I did that I thought "Okay, I was wrong, they're just slightly above mediocre" and promptly wrote them off again.

But then just today I decided to once again revisit them myself and I suddenly got it. It suddenly clicked when listening to Shores In Flames. Holy shit, this is some great stuff.