venom they own us all

KMADD said:
I disagree because dark throne started around 1991-92 along with
those bands I mentioned before. And to me possesed pretty much
started death metal along with Necrophagia at least for me starting
to listen to death metal.

Yeah but the ones I mentioned started way before 1990. In anycase is a matter of semantics. I agree with mostly everyone that whatever Venom started was absolutely "disfigured" by the ones that followed.
On the other hand I don't want to step on the tastes of anyone, to each its own :wave:

yeah but come on, Welcome to Hell - 1981!!!!!!!!!!! That was a beast for its time, and it still sounds as evil as anything.

I don't think calling it a Motorhead copy is fair either, because there is clearly a difference between the two.

High On Maiden said:
yeah but come on, Welcome to Hell - 1981!!!!!!!!!!! That was a beast for its time, and it still sounds as evil as anything.

I don't think calling it a Motorhead copy is fair either, because there is clearly a difference between the two.

Most definitively and speaking of it, have you ever heard Warfare? Noticeable the first three albums of the band were produced by Chronos, Lemmy and Algy Ward.

you may as well call Sodom a bastardized ver. of Motorhead if you are gonna play that game.

Venom simply rule, they owned back in 81 and that is what it is all about. It doesnt matter if you dont like what the style they played in the 80's compared to 90's blackmetal or whatever.

Venom made people shit themselves and go into rabid metal frenzy. They tore up stages and worried Xtians everywhere with their satanic babble, studs and leather, etc. They paved the path of "black metal". They do indeed own us all!

I'm new to this forum but decided to stick my nose in here. Being the old sod that I am. I saw Venom in 1985 on the Possessed tour (incidentally Exodus supported them). They were brilliant live and I'm sure they'll admit that they covered their inadequacies of musicianship with spectacular stage shows. They certainly were one of pioneers of the thrash scene. I don't agree that they created Black Metal (despite the album title), that was definitely Bathory imo. Possessed (seen these guys too but thats another story) almost certainly started death metal off as well. If anyone was around when the whole thrash metal scene kicked off in the 80's then they sure missed what I believe to have been the best time in metal ever. It wasn't a time of creating perfect music, it was all about feeling, being with your mates, playing stuff to each other, listening to 10th generation tape copies of albums that you found impossible to buy, cos no shop would stock them.

Todays availability of metal and music in general has killed the cult status of metal. How many of you ever bought an album cos the logo looked cool, or you thought the album cover was great. I used to buy albums by looking at what bands were on the t-shirts of the guys in the band photo. Anyway I know you probably think I'm some sentimental oldie yearning for the old days of the 80s. Do you know what, I am. I still love the new stuff, but Venom and old bands like these, ie Bathory, Possessed, Exciter (with Dan Beehler), Hellhammer, etc etc were the real pioneers of metal.

I guess I'll prepare for the tirade now. Oh well, just gonna get my slippers and hot chocolate now and listen to some Nargaroth.

Infernali1 said:
Todays availability of metal and music in general has killed the cult status of metal. How many of you ever bought an album cos the logo looked cool, or you thought the album cover was great. I used to buy albums by looking at what bands were on the t-shirts of the guys in the band photo. Anyway I know you probably think I'm some sentimental oldie yearning for the old days of the 80s. Do you know what, I am. I still love the new stuff, but Venom and old bands like these, ie Bathory, Possessed, Exciter (with Dan Beehler), Hellhammer, etc etc were the real pioneers of metal.

I guess I'll prepare for the tirade now. Oh well, just gonna get my slippers and hot chocolate now and listen to some Nargaroth.
Infernali, I hear you. I find myself feeling the same way when reflecting on past days. Half the albums we bought were for the above reasons.

But as far as Venom go, their impact on metal is undeniable no matter whether people want to argue about the black metal side of things.

Infernali1 you are very welcome to this forum. Being an old sod like you, I am 47, I know what you are talking about :)

Although I still think that some bands are still underground, they are not as underground as they used to be. The easier availability of albums has done a lot of good for the metal scene as well. In fact part of the reason why it is blooming again, I think, is because people get to hear new bands much easier than ever before.

Infernali1 said:
it was all about feeling, being with your mates, playing stuff to each other, listening to 10th generation tape copies of albums that you found impossible to buy, cos no shop would stock them.

Todays availability of metal and music in general has killed the cult status of metal. How many of you ever bought an album cos the logo looked cool, or you thought the album cover was great.

Yeah I do remember the struggle in the dark ages. I won't ever said that wasn't fun. But in today accelerated world being able to reach metal without much hassle (and to me it's not that way certainly) is kind of a blessing.

Last time I bough an album because of the artwork was Goddess Of Desire "Symbol Of Triumph", and was as a matter of fact becasue I saw the backcover first :lol:, and I got intrigued. Thanks I did it because I got hooked with the band.

Since my taste is very narrow finding music it's always challenging to me. Since I have not pals like in the old days to hear music with or exchange, this forum and several download systems are the closest thing I can get, and even if it's all cyberspace I feel damn confortable in it and I had found many good bands through people here.

I guess what I miss the most about my metal youth is my long hair and the lack of adult responsabilities, time is a bitch and then you kick the bucket :D

P.S. Oh yeah welcome to the board mate :wave:

NP: Kurgan's Bane - 'Bad Blood'

Cheers for the welcome guys.

I probably sound like some bitter oldie who doesnt listen to new stuff at all. Quite the contrary, I yearn for the carefree days of experimentation when buying albums. Its far too easy to obtain music and discard it without giving it a try. This is mainly because of the amount of music available. I am lucky as I have mates who still listen to and have the passion for metal.

I still believe there is no scene within music that has that community feeling like metal has. Despite the bitching that does go on, I wouldn't change it for anything. Its funny cos I've got a mate coming from London tonight just to play loads of metal and sup quite a few beers.

I agree that the availability of metal has made it easier for most people to get what really is underground material to the masses. I think the listening factor for each album bought has been diluted because there's always summat new to get. You dont get the time to savour each release before moving onto the next album. I think there's loads of new stuff which is absolutely fantastic. I am currently into the resurgence in gritty raw black metal, like Armagedda, Sargeist, Nargaroth, etc. Didnt want people thinking I only listen to old stuff.

Hawk it looks like you're older than me. I'm 40. Bet you've seen some good old bands in your time. What was your fist gig as a matter of interest.

Infernali1 said:
Cheers for the welcome guys.

No problem mate :)
We are always happy to welcome knowledgeable people that have good manners ;)

Infernali1 said:
Hawk it looks like you're older than me. I'm 40. Bet you've seen some good old bands in your time. What was your fist gig as a matter of interest.

My first gig was the Dutch Pinkpop festival in June 1977 and the first act was Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. They had just released their self titled debut album.

Highlights on that festival were Manfred's Mann's Earth band and Golden Earing. The next year I saw Thin Lizzy and Journey perform at this festival. :) And in the same period 77/78 I also saw the Sex Pistols and the Undertones live. O and in 1979 I saw Rush perform on the Pink Pop festival and The Scorpions with Michael Schenker, who just had left UFO, on their Love Drive tour. This was in Feb in the Effenaar in Eindhoven.

So what about your early concert experiences? :)

You had a good 5 or 6 years on me it looks like in gig terms. First band I saw was Rainbow at the Liverpool Royal Court theatre in Sept 1983. I remember going cos we got a flat tyre on the way and we worried we wouldn't get there in time. Also Saxon, Whitesnake, Uli Jon Roth Lindisfarne, Dio, Maiden, Donington, Kiss and UFO in 1984.

Donington really opened my eyes to what music wasreally about. I was very intimidated by it all as I got into metal/rock a bit late really. I went with a friend and felt totally out of my depth. I remember missing Motley Crue due to traffic jams on the motorway. I was really annoyed too. The line up that year was excepptionally good imo.

By this time I was 18/19 so I missed out on the NWOBHM scene plus the preceding Doningtons. I guess thats why I went straight into the thrash metal scene after finding my feet within the metal fraternity so to speak.