VH1 To Air Four-Part 'Definitive History' Of Heavy Metal

Ruthven

Sep 13, 2003
VH1 To Air Four-Part 'Definitive History' Of Heavy Metal
(Source: Blabbermouth.net)

VH1 has announced plans to launch "VH1 Rock Docs", an all-new slate of high-end feature-length programs in 2006. Each of the docs will reveal an untold story in the history of rock and hip-hop music, combining never-before-seen footage with a unique and unconventional narrative approach. The documentaries will tell some of the most unique stories of the artists and music from a wide range of genres, styles, and musical perspectives. The "VH1 Rock Docs" slated for premiere in 2006 include a four-hour definitive history of heavy metal, "The U.S. vs. John Lennon", "The Last Days of Lisa Lopes" and "DMC: The Real Me". Additional documentaries will be announced shortly. A brief synopsis of the heavy metal documentary reads as follows:

"What Ken Burns did for jazz, VH1 does for heavy metal — only a lot louder. This four-part documentary traces the evolution of heavy metal music and culture from BLACK SABBATH to WHITE ZOMBIE, from LED ZEP to DEF LEP, from MOTÖRHEAD to MASTODON. In the same vein as VH1's critically acclaimed 2004 hip-hop chronicle, 'And You Don't Stop', this documentary series will use interviews, verite moments and vintage footage to bring metal's history to life, told from the perspective of the musicians, promoters, writers and fans who have kept metal's flame alive for four decades."

Yeah, like any station that puts "Balls to the Wall" and "Crazy Night" on a list of "the worst metal songs of all time" is going to have anything relevant to say about heavy metal. :puke:VH1

This is the sort of thing I may watch, and it will probably even be somewhat interesting to watch, but "definitive" history of heavy metal? There's about a snowball's chance in hell of this being any more "definitive" than any of the books that have claimed to be. This isn't saying that VH1 specifically is incapable of it... but that it's probably impossible for anyone. Though naming specific examples of songs that someone on VH1 didn't like isn't really a god example... after all, nothing you say is good or bad is going to please everybody... and this new documentary series is undoubtedly going to leave out any number of bands that die-hards, after watching it, will say "HOW THE FUCK COULD THEY HAVE LEFT THEM OUT!?". It's inevitable. Now, being 4 episodes, it might actually be able to go in-depth at least to some small degree, but there's no way they're going to cover every band and event that every self-proclaimed metal expert thinks is important... you wouldn't even be able to do that in 400 episodes.

I foresee that this program will talk about the beginnings of metal and go through the whole 80's hair band deal, then get into the early 90's metal, then end by saying, "and we lost track of it after that." The end.

Yippee38 said:
I foresee that this program will talk about the beginnings of metal and go through the whole 80's hair band deal, then get into the early 90's metal, then end by saying, "and we lost track of it after that." The end.

LOL..... i agree

hehe, yep.

Like that "Encyclopedia of Metal" that one of the British metal mags (Metal Hammer?) put out. Not too much mention of anything after, say, 1999. The Dream Theater entry didn't mention anything after Images and Words, and even the band-photo was mis-captioned.

Lousy interior design, too.

It won't be anything groundbreaking......nothing we haven't seen before. Probably will ignore or gloss over Death, Grind, Prog, and Black Metal. That's why I won't watch...........