VH1 and metal

Headbangers Ball is pretty metal, although it may not be the metal most of us like...they still do play good metal videos.

An excellent point.

One thing they did months ago that I appreciated was they showed an Malmsteem video without making fun of it or belittling the fans of that style. They just presented the video "as is."

I can't even watch the new version of that show. I might see one video I like (unless its a special host who breaks out the classic stuff). It is a shadow of its former greatness. IMO the second coming of this show failed when they chose a hardcore musician as a host. :puke:

If you dont like it, then dont watch it. Go to your closet, sit in it and turn on the black light....as your past slams you in the face, remember, that hardcore musician hosting HBB, has done more for music than you ever will.
Jamie Jasta has been one of the hardest working artist of our time, and is a role model for many. :worship:
so just chill and enjoy any kind of metal or hardcore getting some respect.

Between the behind the music stuff on metal bands, to their various metal specials (like the one talked about above and 100 most metal moments), and various metal dvd showings (Anyone catch their lastest airing of the new Judas Priest dvd? I did).... and of course metal mania, Id say VH1 does a heck of a lot more for metal music overall, then you are giving credit for. But hey, it seems you like the pessimist role, so just stick with it.

I disagree... VH1 promotes metal (or, more appropriately, "metal") that was relevant 20 years ago. Sure, it's a nice trip down memory lane, but what does this do for the scene today?

I've never seen VH1 or any of its incarnations air a single metal video made since 2000. (And I don't count Twisted Sister's "O Come All Ye Faithful" as a metal video. :lol: ) Their idea of "metal news" is when some old, washed-up band from the 80s releases a new compilation, or goes on a reunion tour, or something. And I believe Eddie Trunk is indeed clueless... he knows his obscure 80's rock, but he doesn't really know what metal is, or else he panders to a certain segment of the audience, which is just as bad.

HBB may have a lot of hardcore and metalcore stuff that many of you don't like, but I've also seen them play Demons and Wizards, newer Fates Warning, Biomechanical, and of course the more popular Opeth and Nevermore -- not to mention Nile, Cephalic Carnage, Moonspell, and other, more "deathy" bands. They also feature classic metal videos on their website, and show short clips of what they're adding during the regular show -- I've seen them feature Forbidden, Sacred Reich, and Death Angel among others. And Evergrey even FREAKING HOSTED it once.

The show Uranium on FUSE Network also does more for the scene, IMO, than VH1.

Don't confuse "playing music that you, personally, like" with "promoting the scene". They're two different concepts.

I'm sorry, I don't understand. Could you be more specific about what you thought was dishonest about the portrayal? Keeping in mind that they are trying to cram 30 years of metal music into a 3-hour documentary.

Case in Point:

I could have been offended that they completely ignored my favorite band Savatage, but time constraints and the fact that Savatage never really was a "mainstream" metal band help me overlook this major oversight.

your point isn't relevant. I never said that I didn't like the show because it left out bands I like.

I no longer have access to it, but Comcast cable subscribers have access to the Music Choice digital music channels. The metal channel was really good when last I saw it, and showed everything from power metal and some progressive to deathy stuff and more.
Their side-notes on bands were decently well-researched, and they even gave ProgPower a mention...on their own; Glenn didn't tell them or pay them anything. I hope they're as good now as they were back then. :headbang:

VH1 treats "metal" as a joke. They may play some old videos, but for the most part they'd rather point and snicker about hair and spandex. Their commentary is often wrong and belittling. I'd rather not watch than get irritated or pissed at their attitude.
The ironic thing is that they wouldn't even exist if their parent company MTV hadn't relied on metal heavily for their initial sucess.

If you dont like it, then dont watch it. Go to your closet, sit in it and turn on the black light....as your past slams you in the face, remember, that hardcore musician hosting HBB, has done more for music than you ever will.
Jamie Jasta has been one of the hardest working artist of our time, and is a role model for many. :worship:

:lol:

I enjoyed Metal: A Headbanger's Journey, I thought it was quite well done, though it wasn't perfect. Apparently Orphaned Land is supposed to be featured in the sequel though, so that's something to look forward to.

I agree, to me that documentary has been the best one I've ever seen. I think it's because the anthropology dude is a metal fan and that's what went into it being so geniune. I wasn't happy that prog was overlooked, but from what you've mentioned with the sequel featuring Orphaned Land that's a good sign!

As for VH1 they should just stay out of the business of trying to "journal" any form of music. They aren't critics or writers (not that we like those people either), so they have no reason to be doing it.

I don't really take anything VH1 says seriously about metal, but I was impressed at the fact that they aired Dream Theater's new DVD. Well, an edited version of it anyway.

I love the fact that they give so many of the 80s hardrock bands exposure. I learned not to take everyone's opinions of my music taste seriously a long time ago! LOL

Well, I happen to agree with metalsped, so we'll have to get a closet big enough for the both of us I guess. :lol: That'll hurt when my past slams me in the fact too! :zombie:

VH 1 is written by people who did not actually live through the times or better yet even LIKED METAL. Take it for what it is and be glad that at least they are trying. I've had this arguement for a long time. It is proven by the videos they play. VH 1 picked up on what is/was POPULAR. Hair Metal made Mtv.