Video interview Mikael

Mr. Samsara carries a Burden inside. ;)

Opeth's next album should be called 'Catch 22'.

:sigh:

I didn't call you any of those things. I said some could draw that conclusion from what you, said just as some people are drawing conclusions regarding a situation they know SOME details of.

Fact is it doesn't matter what Mike says, or how much detail he gives, or explanation, or re-hashing of the explanation and details he has already given.... people are going to speculate and draw their own conclusions of what they think or feel happened, and how they think everyone feels, and how they think the situation should be or should have been handled. Everyone knows better than Mike. He's a tyrant, he has a big ego, he takes the band in the wrong direction, he tours them into the ground, he signs them to a label that is shit, he... he... he.....He's in a lose/lose situation with you guys. Much like my explanation here. Most of you probably don't have any idea what I'm talking about. .... Ooops... there I go slipping into my misanthropic moderation style again.

since he basically controls the band he knows not everyone will be happy with what he does. no matter decisions he makes, whether he looks back and says "maybe i shouldn't have done that," they're his decisions and we are not to judge.

somewhat off-topic but i feel like i should discuss this. i kind of have a hard time with fans of opeth who say that they've loved everything opeth has done since orchid, but they feel watershed is shit and they will stop listening to the band in general. imo, whether opeth's next album is a black metal concept album, or 13 jazz-fusion songs, i feel you have to at least tip your hat to mikael and appreciate and respect the fact that he lives for the music of opeth, and the music he creates brings him enjoyment, whether it'd be smiles or sadness. so i feel with that being said, the decisions he makes with the band should be his to make, nobody has brought opeth to this point in time but mikael. from a stockholm cellar to selling out venues like the house of blues...

Wow, Mike seems really, really tired in this interview. May I say, he even looks a bit out there and bothered.

When talking about the new album and the picture or Jorge, he seemed really amused and very happy, like his little spiteful grim of making everyone speculating as to the nature of the code and all that. I couldn't, however, shake the feeling of Mike hiding something there. What made me think of that is how after he seems all amused he kind of looks aside to himself as if thinking of what had just been said.
When he answers the question about Peter leaving the band, saying he seems to drift away from the creative process, he seemed uncomfortable, maybe even painful to me. That's where the interview got really interesting.

About the Peter tape - I'm in no position to judge what happened over there but I really don't see what's so wrong about what Mike said. He said so himself - he didn't like them and even though he tried to make something out of it he couldn't, and he should be appreciated for that because he was being honest instead of, like he said, doing favors just to please Peter. And, if he got the same response from Mendez and Lopez then there's gotta be something to it. I know that if I draw something wickedly artistic and people come to me with ideas on how to move it in a special direction and I dislike their ideas, I know I wouldn't use them, so that I stay honest to myself and them, because if I force myself to use them, they come out utter shit. He just wants his art to be the best it can, and I can totally relate to that. That's what happened with Metallica and St. Anger, this atmosphere of using everything, and that album turned out to be a pretty shitty piece of music. You can't be inspired to write something brilliant all the time and a lot of ideas should be screened to make the final product as good as it can be, as subjective as "good" is regarding art of any kind. Speaking of Metallica, this whole thing kind of reminds me of Jason Newsted and how he left feeling he can't get his creativity out enough in Metallica. Gives me the feeling that Opeth is quite similar to Metallica in that it's one mastermind behind most of the music, Mike being Opeth's own Hetfield (something that's heightened by his stating that he demands that everyone stay focused on Opeth, which is understandable. It is, after all, his baby).

The message I get from him is that in Opeth everybody's idea can be accepted or rejected. That's a dynamic that in my opinion is very positive. And of course, being the musical mastermind that he is and the creative force that he is and the leader of the band that he is, it seems pretty natural to me that he's gonna be the one writing most of the stuff, like Hetfield for Metallica or Mustaine for Megadeth. He did, however, seem very uncomfortable, almost... guilty, for not handling Peter's riff tape differently. Perhaps there's something about it that he regrets doing or wishes he did otherwise. The strongest feeling I have is of him being really sad that Peter couldn't contribute anything good because there's obvious appreciation from Mike to the dude. It's as if he really wanted his friend to come up with something amazing (as he said, "I really hope it's fantastic") and then feeling pain for his inability to bring something fantastic to the Opeth table.

About never getting any compliments on Ghost Reveries - there's something about the way he said it that, with that hint of a grin, makes me think he took it harder than he let be seen. He seems to be joking about it but something in me thinks he was way more upset about that than he shows. I know when I was done with my drawing (which was heavily inspired by Opeth's music, by the way), people not responding to it or just giving me the "it's nice" comment really bugged me. I wanted people's honest opinions and when I didn't get them, I was sincerely bugged about it!

Maybe I'm reading too much into this but I always like examining people's movements and expressions as they speak. In any way, this is an amazing interview and I'm very glad I got to watch it. I feel like I know a little bit more about my favorite band and the way this interview is void of any of the regular grinding of the same subject has been refreshing. Very well done to faceculture.

its an interesting interview. Probably one of the best ive seen, Just because the interviewer pushes that little bit more and while mike clearly is sensitive about the subject. he is clearly answering it honestly and compassionately. Its although rather sad in a way, but i suppose thats the way alot of bands work.

I won't quote you, Godhead, as it's pretty damn long, but I agree with you 100%. Excellent post.

I think that It has to be very, VERY disappointing to make an album and do not even get any opinions/feedback from the members of the band.
This is fucking strange.. like if there wasn't any comunication.

Best interview ive seen with him i think, deep personal stuff.
Good job getting all that out of him. :)

And you can see how much he enjoys that we dont get the clues and stuff, yet, funny. :)