Video interview Mikael

Mike looks, I dunno... bitten or something. Seems as if he's bitter about something, maybe he had a conversation with Pete lately? Either that, or he's so tired that he's not in complete control. I never expected him to say something like that publicly. Sure, your cobandmember could be utter shite, but if he was, and hopefully is still, your friend, you do not diss his creativity in public, especially if he is sensitive about it, like I'm pretty sure he is (like I know I am, and most other people are). If I were Pete and I saw that interview, I would be greatly disappointed and saddened. In fact, it would be impossible for me to maintain a friendship with Mike after that. I really hope that Mike was not sure of what he was saying there, even though the harm is done.

i feel the same way. im not shure if i he is bitter or something (doesnt have to be the case). i wouldnt have expected anything like that from mikes side. there is no real reason for telling this. and in the same interview he states, that it is a really personal thing with the music and the own ideas. and you have to be careful about it and that he was afraid to talk to pete about the tape because it is a difficult topic (and you have to have in mind that they have been friends for more then 10 years at the point that pete gave him the tapes) and now he talks about his bad quality riffs in public.

It's probably the best interview with Opeth I've ever seen. A sort of revelation it is. Thank Mike for all these words and thank to an interviewer for letting Mike talk about it. Really, interviewer was very intelligent, very smooth. I guess it would be too bad to watch that infamous The Gauntlet interview after this one, hah.

By the way, what was the name Mike said about Crazy Eyed Killer? It's something swedish, as i can hear. Horge?

Excuse me for being a newbie here but what is the Gauntlet interview?

Really good interview btw.

Mike looks, I dunno... bitten or something. Seems as if he's bitter about something, maybe he had a conversation with Pete lately? Either that, or he's so tired that he's not in complete control. I never expected him to say something like that publicly. Sure, your cobandmember could be utter shite, but if he was, and hopefully is still, your friend, you do not diss his creativity in public, especially if he is sensitive about it, like I'm pretty sure he is (like I know I am, and most other people are). If I were Pete and I saw that interview, I would be greatly disappointed and saddened. In fact, it would be impossible for me to maintain a friendship with Mike after that. I really hope that Mike was not sure of what he was saying there, even though the harm is done.
Peter is close friends with Mike and he probably knows how blunt and honest Mike can be sometimes. I don't think there's any real problem with this interview.

Hmm....after this interview, my view on the band and Mike in particular is a bit...slanted. I don't want to say bad, but...personally, I don't see how anyone could be 100% comfortable playing in a "original" band and having not contributed anything.

I'm not mad at Mike and my dedication as a fan is max out as always. But trying to look at it from Peters perspective, I'm surprised he stuck around for as long as he did. It's not doing someone a favor to allow them to contribute a small riff to a song that is probably already 10 minutes. I get where Mike is coming from from a quality standpoint. But do you really think he would have accepted a song that wasn't 100% written by him? It's not surprising why no one else has done so.

It's actually kinda fucked up really. Peter can't be THAT bad to where he can't contribute anything.
I think Opeth's music is so good because of Mike being this way.
He's obsessed with it.

Ok. I'm just wondering if Peter thought Mike's material was shit, and how this divide came about.

who knows? obviously peter was too lazy to state his opinion. if he had any balls he would've spoken up, instead of just dragging mikael down by acting like a zombie for the past "_"years. sorry for the negativity, but i feel mikael has a right to be bitter.

What the hell? He didn't drag anybody down. He was there when they played live, and contributed to the band in his own way. He spoke in interviews, appeared quite content with the band too. He had this great cool image that complimented Mike's image just perfectly. Maybe he did not contribute creatively, but he did his part.

I can't understand the sudden Peter hate. Especially coming from guys who lamented his loss back when he left like it was the end of the world or something.

Edit: And no, if Pete has an ounce of pride in his creativity, he can't be close friends after that interview.

What the hell? He didn't drag anybody down. He was there when they played live, and contributed to the band in his own way. He spoke in interviews, appeared quite content with the band too. He had this great cool image that complimented Mike's image just perfectly. Maybe he did not contribute creatively, but he did his part.

I can't understand the sudden Peter hate. Especially coming from guys who lamented his loss back when he left like it was the end of the world or something.

Edit: And no, if Pete has an ounce of pride in his creativity, he can't be close friends after that interview.

um, if i was in a band and there was a member who didnt contribute and didnt have any spirit in the music or any excitement, i would consider that bringing down the band.

there is no hate from me towards peter, ill always respect him, but at the same time i can see where mikael is coming with the pent up frustration, so to speak.

Haha, only Mike liked GR.

Also Mike uses the term "route of confusion" which is used in a line on TLE

"You are stuck in a route of confusion"

Coincidence? Hmm...

Very good interview. I've been waiting for a long time for Mike to comment on the incedent of Peter leaving the band. To be perfectly honest, if peter was not involved in the song writting process, there was no reason for him to stay. Second guitar player is the second most delicate posision and the contribution of such a role is extremely vital. Its fair enough that mike kept him in the band, it is very nice of him and i think it was very good way of dealing with the problem. From what mike said, peter has lacked a bit of creativity in comparison to himself, though we all lack creativity in some aspects of life and work and it is nothing to be ashamed of, its normal. No one is perfect. I think mike should not feel guilty about it and i think he has dealt with the problem in a very mature way.

um, if i was in a band and there was a member who didnt contribute and didnt have any spirit in the music or any excitement, i would consider that bringing down the band.

No. If a bandmember does not contribute creatively, there is nothing wrong. My band works that way, and many famous bands had one or two major contributors and the rest were there just to play the music and form part of the image.

Of course, if he didn't have the spirit to continue with the band then that's another story, but I don't think the issue here is that. The interview here focuses on the creative part of Peter. Of course, I understand that Mike feels relieved and a bit bitter for Pete leaving at the peak of the career, but it certainly does not justify cutting down his creativity in public.

I mean, Mike himself mentions in their website that Pete's creativity needed another out. Which was a perfect way to handle a tricky situation, in my opinion.

I don't think you could be any more wrong.

I wish and hope you are right about that.

If I were Pete, I would be rather pissed off after that. At least temporarily. And then after a while I'd cool off and clap his back again, but you know...

I mean, Mike himself mentions in their website that Pete's creativity needed another out. Which was a perfect way to handle a tricky situation, in my opinion.

Agreed. Mike should have left it at that and never publicly mentioned Peter's tape. Or at the very least, he could have at least said something more neutral like "we didn't feel it was appropriate for Opeth" instead of basically saying it was shite. Mike himself equates dissing someone's music to saying something like "you're ugly"... so for him to say that, and then tell the world that he, Lopez, and Mendez thought Peter's music was bad seems to indicate sort of a lack of empathy. At least he did make it very clear that he holds the other band members to the same songwriting standard that he holds himself to, but still....

I don't think this incident will cause them to stop being close friends or anything ridiculuous like that though. Unless Peter is some sort of arrogant jerk, which I HIGHLY doubt.

Because of what Crepuscularia above said.

I take great pride in what I create, perhaps to the point of appearing arrogant by some, and being dissed like that in public is offensive to me. Of course, not everybody thinks that way, thank god.

I must add that it's more a defensive reaction than a superiority complex. Just like C said above, dissing my creations is just like calling me ugly, so I would take that to heart. I dunno about everyone else.

Now people are whining about that Mikael told the truth... Try to put your self in Mikaels place, people always asking about why Peter left and why he didn't write anything etc, now we know.

As far as I was concerned, I was perfectly happy with the explanation on the Opeth website.