Video interview Mikael

By the way, what was the name Mike said about Crazy Eyed Killer? It's something swedish, as i can hear. Horge?

To me it sounded as though he said Jorge (with spanish pronouncation), which i think would make more sense since he looks a bit spanish or southern european like

It would be great if someone could put some of the mike answer here, sorry guys, but i´m not good when i listen to someone talk in english.

Thanks for your help.

great interview as always from face culture. I always look forword to any face culture interviews specificly the ones with MIKE! you guys ask good questions.

mike layed it all down there, it was nice for him and us im sure

Mike looks, I dunno... bitten or something. Seems as if he's bitter about something, maybe he had a conversation with Pete lately? Either that, or he's so tired that he's not in complete control. I never expected him to say something like that publicly. Sure, your cobandmember could be utter shite, but if he was, and hopefully is still, your friend, you do not diss his creativity in public, especially if he is sensitive about it, like I'm pretty sure he is (like I know I am, and most other people are). If I were Pete and I saw that interview, I would be greatly disappointed and saddened. In fact, it would be impossible for me to maintain a friendship with Mike after that. I really hope that Mike was not sure of what he was saying there, even though the harm is done.

Hmm....after this interview, my view on the band and Mike in particular is a bit...slanted. I don't want to say bad, but...personally, I don't see how anyone could be 100% comfortable playing in a "original" band and having not contributed anything.

I'm not mad at Mike and my dedication as a fan is max out as always. But trying to look at it from Peters perspective, I'm surprised he stuck around for as long as he did. It's not doing someone a favor to allow them to contribute a small riff to a song that is probably already 10 minutes. I get where Mike is coming from from a quality standpoint. But do you really think he would have accepted a song that wasn't 100% written by him? It's not surprising why no one else has done so.

It's actually kinda fucked up really. Peter can't be THAT bad to where he can't contribute anything.

This has been one of the best interviews I had come across for Opeth. Especially him talking about the song writing process and how he doesn't just want riffs, he want's to know the drum beats, vocal melodies and so on. I always thought of Mikael having an ego but this interview sort of helped me understand where he's comming from.

The part about Peter is sort of sad, I hope he is truly happy with what he is doing now.

Can you post this on YouTube, man?

The start/stop buffering thing is kind of annoying.

I really enjoyed this interview. It was fascinating to hear everything that came out. I didn't really change my opinion of the situation, seeing as how it must be frustrating for both Mikael and Peter. Mikael seems very solemn in his words. It's kind of hard to watch something so gloomy in the time of such a killer release.

It seems like Mike is worn out, as you guys have mentioned. He seems drained both emotionally and physically, which is understandable given the kind of year its been for the band. I think Mikael comes across as a bit misunderstood when it comes to his ego and his overall presence in the band, but in reality if it weren't for Mike, there wouldn't be any great music written under the great and mighty Opeth
:worship:notworthy:worship:notworthy:worship:notworthy:worship:

I think what is clear from the interview is the sort of pressure that Mike is under in leading the band and providing the finished songs to the band for recording. He was frank and refreshingly so. It may be fun to go and play with your mates, but when the stakes are higher (in that it is also your livelihood), you need to be something of a hard ass about what makes the grade and what doesn't - in a word "professional". It is obviously a difficult position to be in - difficult for him to be in and difficult for others who want to contribute, but also fear getting their ideas rejected. It's like a marriage and sometimes it can be incredibly hard to be frank with people when you need to be.

It was a really great interview.

Hah, the funny thing is when the interviewer pronounces album title. It sounds clearly like "Watershit".

And I like so much that talking about album artwork. So intense! Mike laughing at his own secrecy... brilliant!

I would really like to hear Peter's tape of riffs. Why does Mike have the veto over the band? "I feel i've earned the right to decide what's right for the band". Why? I never understood this. Imagine if Peter said to Mike he didn't like his riffs. It would be a different band.

I would really like to hear Peter's tape of riffs. Why does Mike have the veto over the band? "I feel i've earned the right to decide what's right for the band". Why? I never understood this. Imagine if Peter said to Mike he didn't like his riffs. It would be a different band.

Did you watch the whole interview?

Really awesome interview, maybe the best I've seen with Mike. It's nice to see how a band like Opeth works and that they are also humans. And to those who get their view on Mike changed by this, what did you think? That they just said some magic words and poff the cd's were made? Of course there will be some problems like this, but the band seem to handle it quite well.

Once again, I loved the interview.

Ok. I'm just wondering if Peter thought Mike's material was shit, and how this divide came about.

Mikael says in the interview that if he writes something that the rest doesn't like, he won't use it. You could obviously see him wanting to use Peter's riffs in the interview, but at the same time, he wouldn't do anybody any favors, which is the downside of having friends in bands I guess, because you care for one another.

This was a great interview (probably the best I've seen by Opeth ever). As usual by FaceCulture you guys manage to give us something else than those average "how's the tour going?"-questions. Keep it up!