video: solo for my song

maestro41

May 2, 2011
hey there guys,
would you check out he solo for my song, "Prayers". Thanks guys. Have a good one. Let me know what you think.

Last edited by a moderator:
First, I found the solo pretty boring, it lacks some improvisation experience. Second, there are too many fast notes that can't be heard one by one, so it sounds very dirt. I can't tell if it's your playing or the sound quality. Third, your vibratos are very poor, so the solo sounds like it lacked passion. But you like what you're doing, that's the important thing that keeps us (the ones who play music) practising and practising, and I think that's what you gotta do.
Just my opinion. Hope it helps.

Sorry, I was just trying to help. I didn't mean to be any harsh. It would be better if someone of you told me why, in what exact point, I'm being harsh and wrong.

It just seemed like you were saying "Oh you suck" without giving any tips or advice or something to offer that you think would help him out. Almost like spanking a kid and not telling the kid what he/she did wrong.

Regarding technique: Work on your vibrato, it's worth it. Keep in mind that it's not just about vibrating the strings with a constant speedy frequency (like in guitar pro). Vibrato is a human expressive articulation that serves an important purpose and so should be learned separately. Violinists for instance spend a lot of time perfecting their vibrato. Listen to solo-violin music for inspiration.

Practice manipulating the frequency and intensity (pitch interval) of both your vibratos and bend+vibratos, depending on the context in your solo. A common technique that is used a lot in solos is to vibrate the string slowly and then gradually increase the frequency (tempo) of the vibrato as the end of the latter approaches. Another common technique for when playing a bend note: You bend and hold the note, and then add a vibrato by the second half or the last third of the bend. Master these and you won't have to worry about your vibratos sounding like guitar pro anymore.

Here is a video with clear examples of perfectly executed vibratos (just the intro is enough):

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWCBnYE48Ss&feature=related[/ame]

And another with excellent bend-vibratos:

Regarding the solo itself: Try not to solo for the sake of soloing, wandering aimlessly up and down a scale or two (which is ok to do if you're just improvising and looking for ideas, but not for being included in a real meaningful song), but rather spend some time coming up with a bunch of ideas and use them to create a meaningful solo that tells something, musically speaking. It's not too different from using sentences to create a meaningful text.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding technique: Work on your vibrato, it's worth it. Keep in mind that it's not just about vibrating the strings with a constant speedy frequency (like in guitar pro). Vibrato is a human expressive articulation that serves an important purpose and so should be learned separately. Violinists for instance spend a lot of time perfecting their vibrato. Listen to solo-violin music for inspiration.

Practice manipulating the frequency and intensity (pitch interval) of both your vibratos and bend+vibratos, depending on the context in your solo. A common technique that is used a lot in solos is to vibrate the string slowly and then gradually increase the frequency (tempo) of the vibrato as the end of the latter approaches. Another common technique for when playing a bend note: You bend and hold the note, and then add a vibrato by the second half or the last third of the bend. Master these and you won't have to worry about your vibratos sounding like guitar pro anymore.

Here is a video with clear examples of perfectly executed vibratos (just the intro is enough):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWCBnYE48Ss&feature=related

And another with excellent bend-vibratos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glJU4wMFvdk

Regarding the solo itself: Try not to solo for the sake of soloing, wandering aimlessly up and down a scale or two (which is ok to do if you're just improvising and looking for ideas, but not for being included in a real meaningful song), but rather spend some time coming up with a bunch of ideas and use them to create a meaningful solo that tells something, musically speaking. It's not too different from using sentences to create a meaningful text.

Thx guys for your feedback. I understand what you are saying about vibrato. I need to work on that. I do like the solo here though as it was fun to play. Thanks for sharing the videos on technique too. I understand that a guitarist can be judged by vibrato alone. thx again.