Viking Funeral

vagner

the greek viking
Oct 9, 2006
U.SA-Tampa F.L
This is a very important question i have heard that vikings burnes their dead in boats.but! i have also heard about viking graves with boats and stones with runes above.please can anybody answer me what exactly happend?they say that they burned their dead to lift their spirit to valhalla what about the other ones??

im not the knower here but i can tell you that those very few funeral with longship burning were not comon; their ship were not burned like if they were nothing. someone very important, a king, etc would have such a big funeral, not everyone.

from what i know not every viking has a boat,only few had and they formed like a bunch of guys who go with the owner of the boat..therefore not every viking could be buried with it.
Besides that I´m with erzebeth, only the most important( although i dont know what gave you points at that time,but i suppose that money or fame) were in boats, and if i´m not wrong there was at least one burial for a woman who i think it was the mum of somebody or his wife or something because the things found buried with her are fucking espectacular...and if i´m not wrong(again) you can visit in in Sweden( or Norway, or denmark...fuck..i´m losing my brain,dont remember where i have been seeing things)..

I want to have a viking funeral. Burnt on a pyre....i'd rather that than be buried and rot away or to be shoved into some fuckin crematory fernace. Im not sure if it's legal though, i guess when my days are comin to an end (which wont be for a fucking long time, unless somethin goes wrong) i'll look into it more. A few of my mates have promised me that if i go in a freak accident or somethin.

Speakin of death, i might go smoke one of his cancer sticks right now.

\m/

And yes Kings were buried in their long-ships, at least thats what they said at the viking museum, but the boats were also burnt, aswel as funeral pyers.

I want to have a viking funeral. Burnt on a pyre....i'd rather that than be buried and rot away or to be shoved into some fuckin crematory fernace. Im not sure if it's legal though, i guess when my days are comin to an end (which wont be for a fucking long time, unless somethin goes wrong) i'll look into it more. A few of my mates have promised me that if i go in a freak accident or somethin.

Speakin of death, i might go smoke one of his cancer sticks right now.

\m/

And yes Kings were buried in their long-ships, at least thats what they said at the viking museum, but the boats were also burnt, aswel as funeral pyers.

i´m not sure, but here you are not allowed to do a barbecue even in your own garden so i severely doubt that a boath crematory would be permitted, anyway, you can always leave everything ready in your garden and pay somebody for "acidentally" throw a match in there...:)

regarding the latest, that might sound stupid, but how if the boats were burnt now we have those burial boats in museums????

OK, this is not so strange if you think about it: Lords were cremated, sometimes in a boat, sometimes on a pyre. The higher the smoke rose, the closer to Valhall they were expected to start their journey to the other side. That is because warriors that died in battle were Odin and Freyas' chosen einherjar. Other people, though, were buried in the ground on behalf of Frey, so that their flesh would make the ground fertile, sort of.
That is your stereotypical explanation. Archaeologically speaking, though, I mist point out that the way in which people were buried varioed enormously depending on geography and also time. I keep saying this, but I am goign to keep saying it until it sinks in: The Scandinavian Iron Age covers 1000 years. Think how much burial customs have changed in the last 1000 years where you live, and then compare it to a country two countries away from your, geographically. Then you'll see that there is no ONE way to bury people, even today, and even among Christians. The Norse were no different. Some of them were asatruar, some were German Christians, some were Anglo-Saxon style Christians, and some I am sure were influenced by the Saami while others were probably more like Greek Orthodox Christians. There is a huge difference, so you can't really say that there was just one way of burying people. You can look to the graves in one specific area and say that this is how people were buried here at x-point in time, which is similar to, let's say, Ibn Fahadlan's account of the Rus funeral, or of Balder's funeral in the ON scriptures. That's about it. Does that make sense?

Edit: Oh, and just so there's no confusion - Rune stones were not raised over the physical bodies of the dead, like a Christian grave stone. They were raised in memory of someone that may have been buried 3000 kms away in a different country altogether, or maybe just a block down the road. They are, as some famous dude I love has said, "Runestones to my memory", not grave markers. And the vast majority of them were raised by Christians, and therefor have nothing to do with heathen burial traditions in any way shape or form.

regarding the latest, that might sound stupid, but how if the boats were burnt now we have those burial boats in museums????

The ones we have in museums are generally not burnt, but rather, buried whole, people, food, animals, weaponry and all. The creamtion of bodies on ships we know about from litterature and charred remains at the bottom of seabeds. The whole boat does not burn when it's in the water, and waterlogged reamins are great to excavate, since anaerobic conditions preserve organic materials (google Tollund man or Egtved man, for example, to see pics of how that works). The materials that make it on land disintegrate, but the stuff that does not make it in land survives in water. That way we get a more complete picture, between the two varieties.

my cousin work as a submarine archeologist. right now hes stationated in st-malo i think. i know he found WW2 boats or related stuff(some bombs even) in northern europe, and a gallion or pirate ship in the caribbean, something like that, among other stuffs. Ill have to ask him about longships ^^