Villains - Directions To Servants (DI's inside) Instrumental

Good God man! The things you did with this song! :OMG: First off, the beginning was awesome! What you did with the leads are incredible. Especially with the pan sweep. I LOVE the bass tone! Great "reverb" snare hits at just the right times. Love the sound of the drums. The guitars at 2:18 were sweet! The downshifted guitars at 2:41 were a great addition! Also, great end. Can't go wrong with downshift to silence. ;)
All in all, you blew me away! This mix is great and all of the additions kept me waiting for the next impressive part. The only thing that I would have added is a bigger low end to the overall mix. But, maybe I just had too much in mine.
Finally, thanks for the kind words. This is the first thread of mine that has interested people. The mixes coming make me feel good about sharing the stems. Thank you!

Thanks alot bro! Appreciate the kind words!

I might go over the low-end thing you mentioned, but i´m not sure if more would do any good...Alot of my friends said it had "too much" bass (in a good way though). I might just stick with what i came up with, for the heck of it. It was alot of fun mixing it though!

The guitar tone was a 5150 re-make through a 4x12 mesa cab in a iso-box i built myself. Ofcourse, Tubescreamer and an avalon mic-pre infront of the chain.

I was pretty lazy with the bass tone actually, haha. Just used the DI signal duplicated to 2 tracks, split every track with an EQ, so one track was everything below 1khz, and other track everything above 1khz. The "high end" bass track was distorted to hell with a sansamp psa-1.

Thanks alot bro! Appreciate the kind words!

I might go over the low-end thing you mentioned, but i´m not sure if more would do any good...Alot of my friends said it had "too much" bass (in a good way though). I might just stick with what i came up with, for the heck of it. It was alot of fun mixing it though!

The guitar tone was a 5150 re-make through a 4x12 mesa cab in a iso-box i built myself. Ofcourse, Tubescreamer and an avalon mic-pre infront of the chain.

I was pretty lazy with the bass tone actually, haha. Just used the DI signal duplicated to 2 tracks, split every track with an EQ, so one track was everything below 1khz, and other track everything above 1khz. The "high end" bass track was distorted to hell with a sansamp psa-1.

I think that the low end of my mix is probably just crazy high then. I don't have a studio setup. I just have my laptop and some studio monitors. No room treatment, no actual hardware. So, my either my ears aren't trained properly yet or I'm just not getting accurate readings of what my mix actually sounds like. You used real gear. That's why your mix sounds 1,000,000 times better! I do really appreciate you letting me in on what you did with the guitars and bass. I thought it sounded amazing!

I think that the low end of my mix is probably just crazy high then. I don't have a studio setup. I just have my laptop and some studio monitors. No room treatment, no actual hardware. So, my either my ears aren't trained properly yet or I'm just not getting accurate readings of what my mix actually sounds like. You used real gear. That's why your mix sounds 1,000,000 times better! I do really appreciate you letting me in on what you did with the guitars and bass. I thought it sounded amazing!

You may be right dude! But, i tend to think, a good mix or a good recording is not about what gear, it´s all in the head and in your ears. A pretty good producer out of Audio Hammer (no, not mr. suecof/lewis, i can´t remember his name) said this in a pretty cool interview on studio production/recording.

I can send you a pic of my studio tomorrow of where i mix/record. It´s basically an old big 2 room wine cellar with no straight wall, so i saved alot on soundproofing, haha.

P.S.: Forgot to mention the mic i used on the mesa cab. It was just a single Audix i5 on my favourite speaker, in my favourite spot.

You may be right dude! But, i tend to think, a good mix or a good recording is not about what gear, it´s all in the head and in your ears. A pretty good producer out of Audio Hammer (no, not mr. suecof/lewis, i can´t remember his name) said this in a pretty cool interview on studio production/recording.

I can send you a pic of my studio tomorrow of where i mix/record. It´s basically an old big 2 room wine cellar with no straight wall, so i saved alot on soundproofing, haha.

P.S.: Forgot to mention the mic i used on the mesa cab. It was just a single Audix i5 on my favourite speaker, in my favourite spot.

I like that quote! I'd love to see a picture of your studio! A wine cellar sounds really cool. I imagine that would save a lot soundproofing! Hahahaha. A i5 huh? I thought everyone used a Sure sm57? Haha. I'd love to see a picture of what mic placement you used.

Figured i would fuck around with this a little bit on break, Guitars are through a TS808,5150 then into torpedo live.

Drums are a bunch of different samples that i blend in my work.

Bass is sansamp

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13978357/Villians_FirstStrikeAudio_Rough Mix.mp3

Ill try and finish the mix at some point this week when i get a chance.

I love your mix! Everything sounds really clean while the guitar still has that dirty tone going on. The only two things that I had a problem with were 1. I think that the guitars should be a tad louder. The drums seem to dominate your mix. And 2. The bass drop at 1:18 kills the mix. The drums suffer especially until it eases off. Other than that, I loved it! I would really love to get my hands on your drum samples! Your drum tone is tasty! Would you mind sharing them with me?

I like that quote! I'd love to see a picture of your studio! A wine cellar sounds really cool. I imagine that would save a lot soundproofing! Hahahaha. A i5 huh? I thought everyone used a Sure sm57? Haha. I'd love to see a picture of what mic placement you used.

Haha, for sure dude! I´ll take some pictures for you today! SHould have them up in the evening after work at the studio.

Great mix! I loved your guitar and bass tones. Especially together. Something gets messed up at 1:10 though. The drums get off time and some odd clipping happens. Besides that, it sounds great!
thx ! Bugera 333XL + HB 2x12 V30, i sold my HB cabinets and waiting for new little bastard Buzzaro :headbang:

Buzzaro%20212ST-B%203.jpg

Stay Metal !

Made a Mix and Master on the weekend between studio jobs. enjoy.

@ Ocean: What reverb are you using for drums, sounds interesting.

Cheers,
marc

I thought your mix was pretty good. I wasn't really a fan of what you had going on with your drums though. The only reverb I used on my drums is the built in reverb in Battery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and thanks for stems.
My try:

Guitars: Axe-Fx II
Drums SSD 4

This is an awesome mix for a headphone mix! Would have been WAY better with the toms though. ;)
i was a bit confused like it sounds like out of sync but then i realized that i should be that way lol , and thanks buddy its not even a studio headphones tho.

Hi and thanks for stems.
My try:

Guitars: Axe-Fx II
Drums SSD 4

Nice mix! I like how the bass stood out! I think your drums have way too much reverb though. They don't really fit with the mix. Also, you drum midi shouldn't have any cymbal hits. Those are all in the overheads. You have the extra hi-hat hits. Just mute those.

Thanks for uploading.
I had the Triple Rectifier set up for re-amping an album so had a quick go at this.
Bass is through Zoom MS-60B>MXR M80 bass DI
Have you got the vocal tracks too?
https://copy.com/AfRKArJztqQothQY

Very nice! I really liked your guitar tone! I thought the drums were pretty good. You also have the extra hi-hat hits in your drums midi. No cymbals should be hit in the midi. There was a spot in the song where the drums get super off. I do have the vocals, but they're not all there. That is why the vocals aren't in my version.