Villains - Directions To Servants (DI's inside) Instrumental

I´ll get to this today! I have a question; Why are the leads printed and not DI´s? Thanks for the files though!

I'm not sure why the leads were printed. That's just how I received the files. I wish they weren't because I would have really liked to do my own thing with them. Either way, this song is really fun to mix!

Thank you Ocean but, do you think you could tell me the exact minutes or compas of all changes of tempo? is to avoid wrong. I try it by myself but I can't (I'm very clumsy, I know :rofl:), thanks again!

At 1:25 it goes back up. Don't worry about it otero!

Well, here my attempt: http://db.tt/nKdPV6Rg

What do you think? Any criticism would be welcome to know if I'm in the right direction. Thanks for the DI´s ocean.abernathy, fuckin awesome job!

Edit:Finally! I've managed to adjust the drum track to other tracks. I've also lowered the OH that I think was very high. Tell me!

Well, here my attempt: http://db.tt/nKdPV6Rg

What do you think? Any criticism would be welcome to know if I'm in the right direction. Thanks for the DI´s ocean.abernathy, fuckin awesome job!

Edit:Finally! I've managed to adjust the drum track to other tracks. I've also lowered the OH that I think was very high. Tell me!

Thanks otero! Everything sounds pretty good. One of the problems that I'm having is that the mix doesn't "come" together. It sounds like an "unmastered" version. I'd try to get your hands on Izotope Ozone 4 or 5 and just go through some of the presets. Find one you like and then modify it until you get a feel for the program. The other MAIN problems are that the extra hi-hat hits that were in the midi are still there. The drum midi shouldn't have any cymbal hits at all. Also, the drums get off somewhere in there. Last thing, some of the guitar parts are pretty off towards the later half of the song. Make sure the use the actual song as a reference. Great job though otherwise.

Thanks otero! Everything sounds pretty good. One of the problems that I'm having is that the mix doesn't "come" together. It sounds like an "unmastered" version. I'd try to get your hands on Izotope Ozone 4 or 5 and just go through some of the presets. Find one you like and then modify it until you get a feel for the program. The other MAIN problems are that the extra hi-hat hits that were in the midi are still there. The drum midi shouldn't have any cymbal hits at all. Also, the drums get off somewhere in there. Last thing, some of the guitar parts are pretty off towards the later half of the song. Make sure the use the actual song as a reference. Great job though otherwise.

Many thanks for the criticism. Is true that the mix havent master (I have only put a compressor and a limiter), I will prove with ozone. My english is a shit, due to it I dont understand that you want to tell me about the guitars in the later half of the song, Im sorry ':(. Anyway, thanks again for your advices!

Here I am again :rofl:. This time I use Ozone 5 for the Master, I removed the hats from the drum midi track and I don´t know if I solved the issue of the "off" guitars, but well, I think sounds better although I am cautious because is my first time using Ozone. Check it!

https://db.tt/sl32AKKn

Here I am again :rofl:. This time I use Ozone 5 for the Master, I removed the hats from the drum midi track and I don´t know if I solved the issue of the "off" guitars, but well, I think sounds better although I am cautious because is my first time using Ozone. Check it!

https://db.tt/sl32AKKn

What I meant about the "off" guitars was that some of the guitar tracks didn't line up. The guitar that comes in at 1:55 on your mix was supposed to start on the double snare hit at 1:54. Just things like that. Otherwise, your mix is getting better. I'm not saying that my mix is the best. I just feel that mine has more body and fullness to it. I used to be close minded and worked on every instrument on solo. I think that's a good place to start, but you also have to work on making sure all of the instruments sound good together. It's getting better otero!

What I meant about the "off" guitars was that some of the guitar tracks didn't line up. The guitar that comes in at 1:55 on your mix was supposed to start on the double snare hit at 1:54. Just things like that. Otherwise, your mix is getting better. I'm not saying that my mix is the best. I just feel that mine has more body and fullness to it. I used to be close minded and worked on every instrument on solo. I think that's a good place to start, but you also have to work on making sure all of the instruments sound good together. It's getting better otero!

Ok, man. Now I understand. I thought at first you meant to any guitar track had remained hidden with respect to the others. I moved the track to "double snare" exact point now fits well. Thank again for your time, if I may, I would like to ask a question. What would you advise me to do to get that body and fullness that I need?I think a good starting point would be the bass guitar but I don´t know... THANKS!!!

Many thanks to Ocean, Sam, and the band for these stems, they're top-notch! Here's my mix:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, man. Now I understand. I thought at first you meant to any guitar track had remained hidden with respect to the others. I moved the track to "double snare" exact point now fits well. Thank again for your time, if I may, I would like to ask a question. What would you advise me to do to get that body and fullness that I need?I think a good starting point would be the bass guitar but I don´t know... THANKS!!!

No problem otero! Well, all of the instruments are important to get to sound good by themselves, but when it comes to the final mix, they all need to sound great together. A lot of that can come from good knowledge of what to use on the master bus. The are stereo wideners that bring a lot of life to the mix. Compression, limiters, final eq if needed, ect.... Just play around with things and see what you can come up with!

Hey guys, what´s up!

First off i want to thank Ocean for giving us the opportunity to give this a shot at mixing/mastering. Thanks alot dude!

I started the mixing process this morning, and this is what i came up with so far. I would appreciate any criticism/comments on my mix/master, thanks in advance!

Here´s my mix/master:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22056949/VILLAINS - DIRECTIONS TO SERVENTS - MASTER.wav

Good God man! The things you did with this song! :OMG: First off, the beginning was awesome! What you did with the leads are incredible. Especially with the pan sweep. I LOVE the bass tone! Great "reverb" snare hits at just the right times. Love the sound of the drums. The guitars at 2:18 were sweet! The downshifted guitars at 2:41 were a great addition! Also, great end. Can't go wrong with downshift to silence. ;)
All in all, you blew me away! This mix is great and all of the additions kept me waiting for the next impressive part. The only thing that I would have added is a bigger low end to the overall mix. But, maybe I just had too much in mine.
Finally, thanks for the kind words. This is the first thread of mine that has interested people. The mixes coming make me feel good about sharing the stems. Thank you!

Many thanks to Ocean, Sam, and the band for these stems, they're top-notch! Here's my mix:

No problem! Thank YOU for sharing your mix. I love the tone the guitar and bass are making together. You mix seems to also have the hi-hat hits that aren't supposed to be there. The midi for the drums shouldn't have any cymbal hits. All of the cymbals are on the overhead track. The only thing I would suggest is a snare with a little more CRACK to it. I love what you did with the leads at the ending! Great job!

Ocean, can't thank you enough for the stems!! Had a lot of fun messing around with the guitar tone in this song! Anyways here's what I've got so far, as always any feedback/criticism is appreciated.

Ocean, can't thank you enough for the stems!! Had a lot of fun messing around with the guitar tone in this song! Anyways here's what I've got so far, as always any feedback/criticism is appreciated.

Thanks Tremar! Great mix! I love what you did with the song as a whole! This is up there with one of the top mixes so far! I didn't really have any problems with it. I am going to listen to it again on my monitors in the morning.