Vintersorg translated

I mean every Germanic "th", because the English language goes back to Anglo-Saxon roots like ð and þ go back to one root, but I think there's a difference, else it would be only one letter ;)
But I don't know much about those letters because I am not Icelandic :D

The difference between "ð" "þ" in the pronuciation can be seen in the english words "think" and "that" infact the international way of write them is "þink" and "ðaet" (i'm leazy to write the whole story this should be enough)

Mantis

The difference between "ð" "þ" in the pronuciation can be seen in the english words "think" and "that" infact the international way of write them is "þink" and "ðaet" (i'm leazy to write the whole story this should be enough o_O )

Mantis

i got a question about some of the sounds of the letters -
like: Ä Å Ø Ö Ü Ë and whatever others i may be missing/or even have wrong (i hope im not that ignorant!) in swedish?

im trying to learn (beginner) and i would really appreciate any help with the phonetic equivalents in english :D

Seraphim Belial said:
like: Ä Å Ø Ö Ü Ë and whatever others i may be missing/or even have wrong (i hope im not that ignorant!) in swedish?

im trying to learn (beginner) and i would really appreciate any help with the phonetic equivalents in english :D
Å, Ä and Ö are the only ones in Swedish.

Å sounds something like A+O, like the A in call. Ä kinda like A+E, or the A in mare. Ö sounds somewhat like O+E, or the U in murderer. At least the way I pronounce those words..

Ø is Norwegian and Danish Ö, Ü is German Y (I think) and Ë is only used in France as far as I know. :)

Seraphim Belial said:

Swedish:

Ää - It's like the A in "bad"
Åå - It's like an O
Öö - It's like the U in "turn"

Danish/Norwegian:

Øø - It's like the Ö

German:

Üü - It's like the U in french "tu"

Ü is also used in Spain to devide letters from each other. Like in "Agüelles". This means, that you have to speak it like "Argu-Elles" and not like "Argwelles".

The Ëë is the same in France, I think..

amf said:
Yupp there's countless ways to spell "sh" in Swedish.

What I always wanted to know, because I learn Swedish autodidactically, is, when you speak the S in front of a K or the whole SK like an SH. You speak it like it AFTER heavy vowels but how do you speak it if it's BEFORE a speacial vowel like in "Skogen"?
Do you know what I mean?

Thidrek said:
What I always wanted to know, because I learn Swedish autodidactically, is, when you speak the S in front of a K or the whole SK like an SH. You speak it like it AFTER heavy vowels but how do you speak it if it's BEFORE a speacial vowel like in "Skogen"?
Do you know what I mean?
sk followed by e, i, ä, ö or y is spoken like the "sh"

if sk is followed by the other vowels or å it is pronounced as ........well.....sk, hehe. Just like you would say in German.
The same goes for sk at the end of a word btw, no matter what stands before it.

Learning, yeah. Reading isn't much of a problem (anymore), I wouldn't exactly call my stuttering speaking though. But it was good enough to manage the regular tourist stuff in Sweden last month :D I have to start somewhere :( ;)

And what's the difference between "sj" and "skj"? Is there also a rule about that pronounciation? One more: is "kj" pronounced like "ch" in "church"?

Thorin Oakenshield said:
And what's the difference between "sj" and "skj"? Is there also a rule about that pronounciation? One more: is "kj" pronounced like "ch" in "church"?
Again depends on dialects. I pronounce sk, ch and skj longer down the throat, don't think english has that sound, the sound you make when you.. erm.. gather saliva before you spit...
And the other sh-sounds (sh, sch, kj, tj, some g's and k's etc) I pronounce like ch in church.