Virgin Steele set - no triggered bass (details in)

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
This is what I received when I asked them about the bass.

"As regards the bass, Josh is playing a 7 string guitar, with an octave box, that enables him to combine both duties at once."

And to me that's just pretty damn cool.

Maybe i'm wrong, but wouldn't an octave box be in effect for every string on the guitar? Unless he plays a guitar note, hits octave box and does a bass note, then back and forth... he'd be standing in one place the entire show... he definitely wasn't... maybe i'm wrong as to how those boxes actually work. You'd have to be playing the bass notes on the guitar, and neither guitarist was doing that as far as I could tell. I was watching both guitarists, and there were still bass notes being played in the mix when they were just holding a bar chord. I'm sticking with piped in. A crew member confirmed that anyways.

It wouldn't sound like a bass, and it would be pretty hollow when he soloed. If there are places where the bass line doesn't follow the guitar, they won't be there, either.

I didn't see the show, but how hard is it to get someone to play bass for your band AT PROGPOWER?

It wouldn't sound like a bass, and it would be pretty hollow when he soloed. If there are places where the bass line doesn't follow the guitar, they won't be there, either.

I didn't see the show, but how hard is it to get someone to play bass for your band AT PROGPOWER?

Agreed... I still enjoyed the hell out of their set, but really... there's gotta be a way to get a session player. Hell, given how effortlessly he appeared to perform all the Pagan's Mind material, plus the all-star jam material at the end of the fest, Steinar Krokmo probably could probably have stepped in and learned those bass parts in mere minutes! :)

I thought they sounded fine without a live bassist, so what's the big deal? I enjoyed the heck out their set, regardless of a bassist not being on stage. And why would I want to see some random hired gun up there in place of piped in bass? What would be the point if we don't know the guy? :lol:

I'll fully admit that I enjoyed the Virgin Steele set myself. It may not of been the best performance of the show, but I thought it was still pretty cool. Not only that, I got a chance to talk with a couple of the band members briefly afterwards and they seemed to be pretty cool guys as well. I do have a copy of their Visions of Eden album, and actually thought it was pretty cool, so I was somewhat looking forward to seeing these guys play. I guess I just hate to dig on a band if they did end up putting on a decent, solid set, despite no bassist, nor keyboardist. Of course, friggan Pagan's Mind walked all over them as far as performances go!

They kicked ass. I know some folks arent into the kinda thing they put on - but damn if it wasnt cool as hell to those of us that did/do care. Ive been waiting a long time to see them live - bassist or not. Simple fact is I enjoyed the set and thats all that matters. Ya'll can pick em apart all you want - wont change my experience - and thats, once again and very simply, all that matters.

They kicked ass. I know some folks arent into the kinda thing they put on - but damn if it wasnt cool as hell to those of us that did/do care. Ive been waiting a long time to see them live - bassist or not. Simple fact is I enjoyed the set and thats all that matters. Ya'll can pick em apart all you want - wont change my experience - and thats, very simply, all that matters.

Hear, hear!!! I enjoyed the hell out of it, I'm not getting all the
negative feedback...

Probably the worst band to ever play PP. Cliche as hell, half the instruments that were involved in the set were faked, and l'm thinking that was the worst falsetto l've ever heard live. Just plain bad.